Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ereed1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,166
Message 1 of 8

Y550P - SSD -

Ok well... I'm on newegg and see this laptop for $999 seems to be a good deal so I do a little forum snooping and see some good responses.Model: 324156U

Really dissapointed with Lenovo/IBM will prob. never buy again. Trying to get an SSD into this thing and only found one poster who said they had success. Tech support pretty much said you can't and no updates would be available.

This thing has been out for like a year and not a SINGLE device driver shows on Lenovo's support site???? No BIOS updates to support the new SSD drives???? Really, I ask myself, and this is an IBM company? Maybe stop with the stupid changing the world commercials that are on everyday here in the States and update your products. The InSydeH2o BIOS was modified/adapted by you guys so it's not generic and I have to wait for you to update it. Why would you do this? So I have to buy your hardware, ok fine just come out with some SSD drives... really a 5400 rpm drive on this system is plain dumb. It's a huge bottleneck in an otherwise nice system. All I ask is for a BIOS update to support the new drives, I mean I spend $1000 and no support at all. Where are the chipset drivers, graphics drivers, BIOS updates, etc. I have to run all over the web trying to find new drivers, this is almost worse than buying a dell.  .

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,152
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y550P - SSD -

@ereed1 wrote:

Ok well... I'm on newegg and see this laptop for $999 seems to be a good deal so I do a little forum snooping and see some good responses.Model: 324156U

This thing has been out for like a year and not a SINGLE device driver shows on Lenovo's support site???? Where are the chipset drivers, graphics drivers, BIOS updates, etc. I have to run all over the web trying to find new drivers, this is almost worse than buying a dell.  .

???

Product: Notebooks - IdeaPad Y550P

HTH,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ereed1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,139
Message 3 of 8

Amazing.... why does this page not come up when you search by model, or click on drivers when viewing the comp specs?  I swear my collegue and myself have been looking for more than a day. I will give it a try

ereed1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,132
Message 4 of 8

I thought for a minute that both myself and colleague had made mistakes so I had an IT person try and find the drivers on your site to no avail.

I apologize for such a critical first post but you must understand the frustration of buying a new comp and thinking support does not exist.

I am really looking to add an SSD drive into this machine and if anyone could suggest one that will 100% work I would be very appreciative. I am hesitant because most sites only offer a replacement warranty and many people have had trouble with this comp. recognizing SSD drives.

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,117
Message 5 of 8

Hey, it isn't my site.  If it was, the driver matrices would be waaaay easier to find Smiley Happy

It is a bit of a guessing game getting where you need to go.

From "support and downloads" I can use the "select your  systsem - quick path", enter my son's Y550P model (same as yours) and get to the correct system description.  However - trying to get from there to the driver matrix just ends up at some weird IdeaPad model or the ThinkPad page Smiley Sad

The way I got to the right matrix is to use the "select your system - manual selection" and walk the tree.  The other way is to click the IdeaPad IdeaCentre graphic and walk the tree from there.

The Lenovo web wizards really need to clean up this mess.  You can follow the obvious links and end up thinking you have done it all correctly but end up nowhere, as you discovered.

<rant>

What really chaps my backside is that the warranty lookup is the same kind of mess.  If you aren't careful you end up using the ThinkPad tools  - which seem to work - and end up with perfectly reasonable information which is totally incorrect.

I bought a Y550P for my son, who is moving to Japan, partly on the strength of the international warranty that shows up in  the matrix.  I purchased a 3-year extension throught support that was supposed to be international.  Later checked through support since it didn't show up in the on-line warranty check and was told it was NOT international.  Cancelled purchase of warranty.  (That was a thrash...)

I contaced sales later and was told it WAS internatioal.  Purchased the 3-year extension again ($50 more expensive now) and moved on.  It didnt' show up in the online tool.  A few weeks later, the tool changed, it did show up, and said NOT international.  Further grinding on sales got them to do some serious checking and verified that it was not international.  The Y550 was, but the 'P was not.  GRRRR!

The kid really likes the machine or I would crate the whole thing up and return it.

</rant>

I really like my ThinkPads.  Sales and support have been for the most part excellent.  The IdeaPads, not so much.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ereed1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,107
Message 6 of 8

@ zoltanthegypsy 

That is too bad, if sales told you it was under international warranty and you bought the extended warranty for that reason management should have given you the international warranty anyway.  The entire buisness model when it comes to technology companies these days is awful. It's just like all the software companies that release beta software that are full of bugs and glitches as production software and then release patch after patch instead of getting it right the first time.

aagresta
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,078
Message 7 of 8

I have the Y550p (324156U). I put an Intel X-25M SSD in it, and installed Windows 7 Professional. It runs like a dream, 7.8 windows experience index rating for the primary hard drive. Windows 7 has a bunch of built-in improvements for SSDs, but remember to disable disk defragmenting and superfetch. Installing the Intel SSD toolkit is also a good idea.

I think the specific SSD I bought is this one: link

I don't see why you'd have any trouble installing an SSD; Windows 7 handles it pretty much exactly like a regular SATA hard drive. The folks at Lenovo probably just don't want to bother supporting it. You shouldn't need any special drvers if you get one similar to the one I got.

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about BIOS support. It's just a regular SATA device; the BIOS just sees it like a normal HDD I think.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,014
Message 8 of 8

by the way, there's available bios update for y550p ( for windows 7, released @ 25.01 )

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors