Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neluril
Paper Tape
Views: 2,051
Message 1 of 2

Y560 ATi/AMD driver not installing properly, card not visible in device manager

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 which had both Intel and AMD drivers installed correctly, switchable graphics was also functioning properly.

The problem started when I tried to update the 2010 AMD driver with the latest one (2011) on the officail Lenovo site. The install seemed to run through, but informed me that there were warnings during the installation. I opened the linked log file, but it did not include any errors or warnings, only that the installation ran through successfully.

As the driver version still showed that it was the 2010 driver which is installed, I uninstalled the driver, and tried to install the 2011 driver again after a reboot. It once again said that the installation was successfull, but with warnings (still no warning in the log file). When I tried to check the driver version, it turned out that the AMD graphics card is not visible in the device manager, not even as an unrecognised device.

I then tried to install the old 2010 driver (the original driver installation files were already on my D: drive upon delivery), but got the same results as with the 2011 driver.

Removing any AMD/ATi related programs did not help either, I still get a "finished" installation with warnings, and a log file without warnings or errors.

OS is Windows 7 (64bit)

GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (+Intel HD...)

Switchable graphics is turned on in BIOS.

Any idea how I could get the system to recognise the attached ATi graphics card, or at least realize that it is there?

Neluril
Paper Tape
Views: 2,030
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y560 ATi/AMD driver not installing properly, card not visible in device manager

Issue resolved by:

1. Going to Device Manager and also removing the Intel HD from the graphic displays

2. Restarting the computer

3. Dealing with some unsuccessfull Windows boots (2-3 of them)

4. Finally managing to boot up, 2 VGA graphic displays now appearing in Device Manager (one with yellow triangle with exclamation mark)

5. Right clicking on the one with the yellow triangle and adding a driver (manually, selecting folder with pre-installed drivers on my D: drive)

6. Reboot

7. Both ATi/AMD and Intel Graphic chips are now recognised, switchable graphics option available again Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors