Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ziga
Token Ring
Views: 2,450
Message 1 of 16

Y560 HDD running as sata 1 instead of sata 2

Hello! 

I've just done some messing around with my laptop and I've noticed that my HDD is running at sata 1 speeds, even tho it should be at sata 2. 

After some googling, I've read that all Y560s have this issue and none of the previously posted solutions work at this time. There was talk of a Lenovo USB, but I refuse to spend money to fix a factory error. 

What can I do to get my HDD to sata 2 speeds that it should have?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,419
Message 2 of 16

Re: Y560 HDD running as sata 1 instead of sata 2

hi ziga,

According to this pdf data sheet, the Y560 comes with the Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset which supports up to up to 4 SATA ports. To know if the HDD and the SATA slot supports SATA 2 (3Gbps), download and install HWInfo (see sample on spoiler).

Spoiler

SATA PORT.jpg

SATA.jpg

If your HDD is SATA 2 compatible but you're currently on the wrong SATA interface, try to move the HDD to the interface that's capable of SATA 2.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,408
Message 3 of 16

Can you elaborate further how you mess your laptop?

ziga
Token Ring
Views: 2,390
Message 4 of 16

No, not really. I formatted my PC a while back, installed all the drivers, didnt change any hardware slots or configuration and when updating stuff yesterday, I noticed this. 

Also judging by other posts on this forum, every Y560 has this issue, so I didnt actually have to mess anything up. 

ziga
Token Ring
Views: 2,380
Message 5 of 16

Ok, so I did this HWInfo test and this is what I've got:

Link to picture

So SATA II is supported, by my HDD is in the wrong slot - am I reading this correctly? And in order to fix this, I should simply open my laptop and relocate the HDD to a different, SATA II compatible port?

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,370
Message 6 of 16

Thanks. The problem could be driver related. Try running Intel's driver update utility just to be sure.

ziga
Token Ring
Views: 2,360
Message 7 of 16

Turns out its not a driver issue - that driver update utility says its all as its supposed to be (or that something is unsupported), but the HDD seems to be ok.

Im looking into the SATA ports now.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,351
Message 8 of 16

Hi
Y560 has only one sata port and one msata port. You cannot attach the hdd in any other port.
Btw, my y560 also has this problem. But mine was. Sata 1 from the starting. Your hdd might also be sata 1 though I am only guessing at this moment.
Regards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ziga
Token Ring
Views: 2,343
Message 9 of 16

My HDD is SATA II compatible - it could and should run on the SATA II port.

I see that the Y560 has only one port, so its simply a case of it being configured falsely (as many other topics and internet searches prove).

Is there a way to reconfigure it to give it SATA II speeds? I've already checked in BIOS but didnt find anything there and the previos topics have masked links, links where solutions were posted. 

ziga
Token Ring
Views: 2,328
Message 10 of 16

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors