Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oxmox
What's DOS?
Views: 3,277
Message 1 of 7

Y560 M29B8GE BIOS help needed

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y560 M29B8GE. My problem is a bit unusual...
The GPU doesn't work anymore (I think it might be just  aloose connection) but I'm pretty fine with it, as the onboard graphics still work fine. The only problem is, that I recently found the option in the laptop's BIOS (bought in September 2010 and BIOS has never been updated since) to turn off the switchable graphics option and thought I might as well just completely turn it off. But this actually lead to the laptop only using the non-working GPU. So now the laptop still starts and works fine, but is not able to show anything on the screen. My question now is, if anyone can maybe give me the full instructions of how to change the BIOS option again (like "Use key f12 to enter BIOS, then press down 3 times, then enter and exit using f10" or however it will actually be).
Maybe some pictures of the BIOS screens could work as well.

Please don't worry if your BIOS may be of a different version, if you have a Ideapad Y560 M29B that should definitely be enough (maybe also any other Lenovo laptop from a similar time period or newer can aslo work, I'm willing to try anything)

Thanks out front for any help you can give me

PS.: If you have any suggestions on how to get to the GPU inside the Ideapad Y560 M29B8GE to check if it's a lose connection (was trying unsuccessfully before) I would also like to hear about those. Thanks a lot!

bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 3,264
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y560 M29B8GE BIOS help needed

Just go to bios and use F9 to reset bios, then F10 to save.

oxmox
What's DOS?
Views: 3,247
Message 3 of 7

Ok Thanks a lot for the quick reply, that should work, but as I really have no idea of telling what is written there, maybe you can give me the FULL instructions of which buttons to push. (like: "f2 to enter BIOS, f9 to restore defaults, enter to confirm, f10 to exit, again enter to confirm")

Thanks You very much

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,217
Message 4 of 7

Hi Oxmox,

please press F2 at start up to enter BIOS, press F9 to Setup Defaults, press F10 to Save and Exit,

may first play around some with the BIOS simulator...

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CoursewarePublic/15415/IdeaPadY460A.swf

Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 Hardware Maintenance Manual...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM012681

Good Luck...  Zehn

cevar_blackwing
Punch Card
Views: 3,203
Message 5 of 7

If the suggestions above don't work, then do the following in order:

1.  Try removing the battery & AC plug then push on the power button for 20 secs. and hope this would reset the BIOS.  Try turning on the laptop again.

2.  Detach the removable covers from below the laptop, look for a "J2" label on the PCB that is beside 2 triangle contacts facing against each other.  These are your BIOS reset pads.  Use a forcep to connect the 2 triangles after disconnecting the battery and the AC plug for 5 secs..  Most of the time, these "J2" contacts can be found under the RAM or WiFi card.

Try turning on the laptop again.

3.  Try disassembling the laptop and remove the CMOS battery usually found directly under the trackpad.  After disconnecting the CMOS battery, push on the power button to discharge the motherboard.  Re-assemble then turn on the laptop.

4.  Try researching on Phoenix Crysis Tool.  This procedure will flash your BIOS using a flash drive and a key combination.  After a sucessful flash, try turning on the laptop again.

5.  If you've reached this point, then you are in deep trouble.  The only way for you to recover is you either send the laptop to Lenovo or have the BIOS chip re-flashed with an SPI Programmer.

If anything is unclear, please do send me a PM.

oxmox
What's DOS?
Views: 3,149
Message 6 of 7

Thanks a lot for all the answers, it really helped. It wasn't necessary in my case to do anything else than load the default settings of the BIOS which I could do 'blind' with the instructions from above.

Thanks again to everyone!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,130
Message 7 of 7

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors