Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAKES
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,190
Message 1 of 6

Y560 - PLAYED WITH BIOS FOR FINDING ATI GRAPHICS CARD AND NOW ITS BLACK SCREEN

HELLO TEAM

I have bought a second hand Lenovo y560, and I have done a clean win7 Ultimate OEM x64 Bit install. After this I couldn't see the ATI  graphics card in the device manager. (im not sure it was there before install). I have done all possible methods to find it using AMD software update tool, but it says no hardware found.. it was showing 2 Intel HD Graphics Cards

Later I tried fiddling with bios and changed some values in "Configuration Tab"related to switchable graphics  to "discrete", below that some parameter like VMM ( blame my memory not sure) . Later I rebooted after saving changes and the screen has gone black. I tried bios update recovery (Wincris USB bootable method) option mentioned in the forum, and it did not work..

(Earlier I had tried updating BIOS, it failed and I used Wincris recovery by making bootable USB and it was successful)

Can any tech friends out here could help me getting back to screen, Thanks a lot in advance

Jakes

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,204
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y560 - PLAYED WITH BIOS FOR FINDING ATI GRAPHICS CARD AND NOW ITS BLACK SCREEN

@JAKES wrote:

HELLO TEAM

I have bought a second hand Lenovo y560, and I have done a clean win7 Ultimate OEM x64 Bit install. After this I couldn't see the ATI  graphics card in the device manager. (im not sure it was there before install). I have done all possible methods to find it using AMD software update tool, but it says no hardware found.. it was showing 2 Intel HD Graphics Cards

Later I tried fiddling with bios and changed some values in "Configuration Tab"related to switchable graphics  to "discrete", below that some parameter like VMM ( blame my memory not sure) . Later I rebooted after saving changes and the screen has gone black. I tried bios update recovery (Wincris USB bootable method) option mentioned in the forum, and it did not work..

(Earlier I had tried updating BIOS, it failed and I used Wincris recovery by making bootable USB and it was successful)

Can any tech friends out here could help me getting back to screen, Thanks a lot in advance

Jakes

Hi jakes

Welcome to the forum!

Dont worry mate, it is not that serious, i mean it is not a hardware problem, just the graphics have switched to discrete mode.

To fix this, switch on your laptop, and as soon as the lights start coming up, repeatedly press the f2 key and you should probably hear a small thin sound(if you dont hear the sound, still continue the steps, it may take once or twice to work). You have entered bios here. Here press f9 once and then press enter. This has reseted the bios to default settings. Now press ESC twice and enter and the laptop should reeboot and hopefully it works.

You can also take a look at the bios simulator before doing this, so that you can get some practice.

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/et.cfm?eid=1437

Hope this helps

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
JAKES
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,147
Message 3 of 6

Re: Y560 - PLAYED WITH BIOS FOR FINDING ATI GRAPHICS CARD AND NOW ITS BLACK SCREEN

Thanks Ishan, Trust me it worked.. it really worked...the only change is esc +esc +enter dint work...instead I used F10 + Enter.. it rebooted with screen.. Thanks a tonne for the quick reply.. kudos

Jake
Y560/U310
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,140
Message 4 of 6

Hi
Your welcome friend, glad to know it worked. And thanks for suggesting and telling the F10 thing, it can be used as an alternate.
Kudos to you to
Reagards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
altafshah
Paper Tape
Views: 2,212
Message 5 of 6

I got the Same problem but, the solution given does not work for me, please help me.

Omar432
Paper Tape
Views: 881
Message 6 of 6

just a quick question please..why did the screen go black anyway when he switched it to the discrete mode ?? Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors