Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray6578
Paper Tape
Views: 1,347
Message 1 of 11

Y560 Screen blank after sleep

I just got a Y560 and can't seem to find an answer to this issue.

When the computers goes to sleep (whether I do it or on its own) for an extended amount of time, say an hour, when I push the power button the lights come back on, but the screen stays blank. I have to put it back to sleep and then wake it up to get my screen back. I know the computer is active since if I click around I can see the windows that I had opened while the screen was blank. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• OS - MS7 Home Premium
  • Bios version - 30CN62XX
  • Graphic card driver - ATI Radeon HD 5730
rouman
What's DOS?
Views: 1,295
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y560 Screen blank after sleep

I am having the same issue and definitely would like some help with this. This is very annoying and just leaves a bad taste considering how this model had display issues in the past.

harley2ride
Punch Card
Views: 1,238
Message 3 of 11

I don't know why it does it, but to get mine to come back after SLEEP, I press CTL/ALT/DEL, then select CANCEL, and it comes back for me.   Not sure why I have to do this though...   Maybe it is some power mgmt setting..

ray6578
Paper Tape
Views: 1,225
Message 4 of 11

Thanks, that worked! I still would like to find out  what is causing it since I shouldn't have to do that for a new computer. 

harley2ride
Punch Card
Views: 1,197
Message 5 of 11

If you connect a mouse, it will wake up when you move the mouse, but not if you use the touchpad or press any other keys.....

How about it Lenovo Gurus..    Whats up with that..  Smiley Happy

Atreides
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,157
Message 6 of 11

My Y460 does the same thing, or the screen has some odd blinking line, it happens randomly but is really annoying..  I'll be watching this thread to see any kind of response

dustinjclark
What's DOS?
Views: 1,095
Message 7 of 11

That's is interesting about the mouse waking it up but not the touchpad.  I have the same problem.  Sounds like a data bus problem.  BIOS!

dustinjclark
What's DOS?
Views: 1,090
Message 8 of 11

....and I know what DOS is you clowns....sheesh.

chrisansari
What's DOS?
Views: 1,008
Message 9 of 11

We are having the same problem on a system I gave my daughter for x-mas. She called support yesterday and they told her "You most likely have a corrupt system file, I can't help you unless you have a recovery CD." We started having the problem right after I gave her the system so I doubt she has a corrupt file. I would love to hear if anyone has found a solution and/or had better luck with Lenovo support.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 998
Message 10 of 11

Ok, there are many reasons this may happen.

The first thing to check is if you have any suspend mode options in the BIOS:

S0 Full power (normal operating mode)
S1 Hard drive and monitor shut down when not used
S2 Same as S1, but CPU is also shut off. Equiv to S3,
so you may not see S2 mentioned anywhere.
S3 Same as S2, and called Suspend to Ram (STR) or Sleep.

I believe my Y550 is set to S3 only, to ensure it fully sleeps.

It sounds like the video hardware is being suspended, but something else is preventing the system from sleeping. To test, run a diagnostic boot on Windows (Use the System Configuration Utility, select Diagnostic Startup), and see if it'll successfully sleep. If it does, then the issue may be a result of software preventing a proper sleep.

Windows will look pretty.... 98-ish as all UI elements and apps are disabled. As well, your antivirus may not be running in this state, so it is advised to keep the machine "offline" while in this state. Select Normal Startup after testing to restore the system's boot to it's regular state.

As well, check your Event Viewer log, specifically the Applications and Services Log > Hardware Events to see if something is failing consecutive to the sleep failures.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors