Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Liggett
Paper Tape
Views: 1,843
Message 1 of 2

Y560 display driver, Windows 10 background driver downloads?

So I have recently had an issue with the y560 ideapad laptop (I know WAY past use of life but it's still plodding along just fine).  The display driver I think is crashing after the windows load screen on boot.  Make a long story short, through my diagnosis of the laptop I thought it may be the thermals from the video card and CPU.  Ergo, I pulled the thing apart replaced the thermal compound and was still running into the same issue of the laptop not making to the login section on boot and occasionally throwing a black screen up in safe mode.

Went in via safe mode (very odd by the way to get there on Windows 10) and nuked the drivers for the old 5000 series mobility AMD card.  I was still experiencing the same issues after a fresh driver reinstall so I just resigned myself to using the laptop with the built in graphics on the MOBO instead of the video card.

Well after about an hour of putzing around feeling sorry for myself, Windows blanks the screen out and pops up with the drivers re-installed and the screen looking like normal.  So my question is two fold:

1. Anyone have a solution for the blank screen after the windows boot screen (all research points back to this being a problem years ago but driver updates seem to have solved the issue).

1. Is Windows 10 doing funny things with my drivers in the background unbegonist to me?  (While I have little doubt Windows IS doing things, I'm looking for a way to turn it off seeing as how I have such an old laptop and the drivers are JUST fine and dandy the way they are).

Thanks in advance,

-Liggett

Liggett
Paper Tape
Views: 1,803
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y560 display driver, Windows 10 background driver downloads?

So after a few more days I think I'm going to simply slick the hard drive and go back to using my old windows 7 install and the legacy drivers. 

I'll post an update as I've heard that once you go ten you can't EVER GO BACK ./hears evil laughing in the background\.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors