Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheTheTrain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,177
Message 1 of 11

Y570 Freezing during games

So, according the System Requirements Lab Can You Run It? application I should be able to run the games I've been trying to play like Fallout:NV and Batman:AA at the highest settings, but even on low and medium the games will freeze after about 10-15 mins and I'll have to open up the task manager, end the task, try to end the process but it hangs, and then shutdown.

However, the laptop then will not shutdown completely, it'll go through the animation of shutting down and appear just as a blank screen, but the fan will still be running and all the power lights will be left on. Even after about 10 minutes it will still be on and eventually I just hold the power button for 10 seconds and force it off.

This mainly happens with graphics intensive games like the ones I mentioned as I can play Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2 just fine. I'm assuming this is an overheating problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them or has been able to play graphics intensive games just fine?

Thanks for your time.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,164
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y570 Freezing during games

TheTheTrain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,152
Message 3 of 11

Thanks, I just tried that but as I was playing Portal (the first one) the problem came up again. Froze about 20 minutes into the game, the audio started stuttering, and I had to open up the task manager to end task and the process is hanging. :\

EDIT: I decided to try playing in windowed mode rather than fullscreen and it seems to work thus far, it also seems to run alot smoother and look better, although I'd like to run in fullscreen this will do for now, but any ideas on why it would do this only in fullscreen would be helpful. Thanks.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,139
Message 4 of 11

have you tried to update graphic card drivers?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
TheTheTrain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,094
Message 5 of 11

Ok I've done that and it still happens to me Smiley Sad. Although it's only happened once in windowed mode, but the game froze and the audio continued playing smoothly. generally when it happens to me in fullscreen the audio will start trying to replay the same half-second clip rapidly or something and just become a buzzing noise.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,075
Message 6 of 11

try to change compatible mod : right click the application > properties > on compatibility tab change mod ( xp sp2 ).

and make sure you check the "run as administrator"

TheTheTrain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,065
Message 7 of 11

Should I just do that for Steam or should I go into my program files and do that for the game launcher. I did it for both applications but was wondering if I only needed to do it for one because I remember reading somewhere that I shouldn't run steam in compatability mode.

And I'll let you know if your solution works in half an hour or so going to try it out now.

TheTheTrain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,061
Message 8 of 11

Ahh, it didn't work sadly.

TheTheTrain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 977
Message 9 of 11

Do you have any other possible solutions? because I still have the problem and have been playing in windowed mode ever since.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 969
Message 10 of 11

can you try to disable anti-virus before playing games?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors