Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkirk01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,046
Message 1 of 7

Y570 Nvidia Issue

Hey there Lenovo forums, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I do a lot of computer repair work but this issue have me baffled.

When I turn on my y570 with the battery only, it starts up fine and the Nvidia card is detected. As long as I don't plug in the power cable the laptop functions as it always has, but 4 months ago an interesting problem has arisen. If I boot up the laptop with the AC cable plugged in the Nvidia card goes undetected by the hardware manager, CPU-z, GPU-z, and all programs. It simply acts as if its off or not installed on the computer. If I boot up the computer on battery and later plug it in I end up with a BSOD complaining about NVLDDMKM.sys. I've read elsewhere that this issue can arise from faulty ram and even over-voltage of the graphics card but I'm skeptical. If I uninstall the Nvidia drivers the I won't get any blue screens with the power cable in but I don't recall if the gt555m is detected or not. I have absolutely no idea what could be causing it at this point, and I'm turning to you. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and before you mention drivers to me: I've tried every iteration of drivers, x86 and x64 from 296.10 through 314.22.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,031
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y570 Nvidia Issue

Check your GPU's hardware driver profile, power state mappings.

PowerStateMappings.PNG

For the codes, see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

Then check your Power Plan.

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

rkirk01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,017
Message 3 of 7

My power data for the 555m is a mirror of yours. I'm on the high peformance power plan now, and all other power plans cause the exact same issue. Any other ideas?

Former Employee
Views: 1,963
Message 4 of 7

Hi rkirk01,

thanks for posting. You might want to consider trying to update the BIOS, it might help the issue. Though your issue is somewhat new to me it would be worth trying. The Link to the BIOS can be found below.

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/Driver/en/Downloads%20and%20Drivers/Y470Y570/BIOS/47CN28WW/IQY0...

hope this helps

Regards
rkirk01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,948
Message 5 of 7

Alas, no dice. I've heard of people experimenting with modded bios' but I'm not sure if that would aid me. This is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this. It's one hell of an enigma.
Former Employee
Views: 1,932
Message 6 of 7

Hi rkirk01,

Could you possibly try this tip below.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_MY/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT076933

I understand that the tip may not look like it is related to your issue. Reason I'm asking you to try this out is because i'd like to confirm and narrow down the conflict of your system.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,920
Message 7 of 7

@rkirk01 wrote:
Alas, no dice. I've heard of people experimenting with modded bios' but I'm not sure if that would aid me. This is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this. It's one hell of an enigma.

I wouldn't mess with a modded BIOS either. Smiley LOL 

But don't worry about the link he gave you.  That's just the Lenovo download for Version 28 BIOS. If you want to see the complete list of Lenovo drivers, see this US Lenovo link:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT072736

Make sure that you are using BIOS Version 28. (IIRC 47CN28WW)  Check using msinfo32.exe

I'm only giving you the commands because a lot of other users may not know how to check their system.

The only other thing I can think of, maybe you can check your "High Performance" plan under the advanced tab. What are your Intel Graphics Settings? Actually, you may want to check everyone of those power plan settings.

PowerOptionsMax.PNG

I'm really not sure how to solve your problem. Heck, I hardly ever use my Nvidia GPU card. I have the switch turned off! Smiley Surprised 

Sorry if I can't be more helpful.

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors