English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks Knowledge Base

Y570 - TV Overscan and No Blu-ray TV Picture

<h2>Question</h2> <p>I bought a Y570 (08622VU) and wish wish to use the unit as a Home Theater PC. I am connecting the unit using HDMI cable to a large rear projection Samsung TV.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>1) My first probiem is overscan. The desktop when viewed on the TV is missing about 5% on all edges. The corners are missing. The desktop as shown on the laptop's own screen is perfect. I also had a Y560p and did not have this problem as the Y560p showed the complete desktop in the TV without changing from default settings. I have tried changing resolution without success.&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>2) My second problem is lack of Blu-ray movies on the TV. The screen on the laptop shows a Blu-ray movie perfectly. The TV shows the control icons (Pause, Chapter Skip, etc)&nbsp;from the Lenovo Power DVD software on the screen, but the center window that should be showing the movie is black. I have a Sony PS3 connected to the TV and it shows Blu-ray movies without problem.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><span>How do I fix/troubeshoot this problem?</span></p> <h2>Answer</h2> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>The key to resolving these issues was finding and using a utility program included on the laptop - The Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. There is an icon for this program in the system tray. I used this program to make settings for output to both the laptop screen and the High Def TV. The program Operating Mode must be set to Single Display because one needs different settings for the 2 displays. Clone Mode will not allow proper settings for the 2 devices in this case. In my case the TV automatically appeared in this program labeled the Digital Television TX-SR806 display.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Tray &gt; Intel HD Graphics Icon &gt; Right Click &gt; Graphics Properties &gt; Basic Mode (Gets one to this Control Panel)</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Click the question mark bubble at the bottom of the window to display information as the cursor moves over setting names.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Without the TV connected -</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Select Multiple Displays in the Control Panel left column. Make sure...</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Operating Mode = Single Display (Not Clone or Extended Display)</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Primary Display = Built-In Display</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Connect the TV using HDMI cable with TV input set to the laptop's HDMI input number. Do whatever is necessary to make the Control Panel visible on the TV screen - (select inputs on your TV using onscreen controls)</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>On the laptop:</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Select Multiple Displays in the left column. Make sure...</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Operation Mode = Single Display (Not Clone or Extended Display)</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Primary Display = Digital Television</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Select General Settings</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Resolution = 1920x1080</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Scaling = Customize Aspect Ratio</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Horizontal Scaling = 70</p> <p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Vertical Scaling = 70</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Once the new settings are made, they can be saved in a custom Profile in the program's Advanced Mode.</p> <p>I saved 2 profiles - 1 for the laptop screen&nbsp;and 1 for the HDTV.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Next, start-up the laptop in the Profile for the laptop settings each session. When I want to view a movie, I switch the TV to the HDMI input connected to the laptop and the laptop will automatically switch to the HDTV Profile. The laptop screen goes blank and shows-up on the TV. What I would normally see on the laptop screen is now showing on the HDTV screen with no overscan (all 4 corners of the desktop are just visible).</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Viewing the HDTV screen, I start the Media Player software and watch the movie. When I finish the movie, I switch the TV input to another TV input and the laptop screen comes alive with what had just been showing on the HDTV. This switching of screen content from laptop to TV and back to laptop is all happening automatically without me touching the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>The HDMI protocol seems to be handling the necessary communication for where the content/picture should appear. After watching a movie, I make sure the computer display is automatically put back to the laptop screen.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>These are the procedures and settings that worked for me. Try these procedures/settings at your own risk. They may need to be changed to fit your individual situation - as various TVs may behave differently.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>After making the new settings and connecting the TV to the laptop, I played a Blu-ray movie through the Lenovo PowerDVD 10 program and the picture was perfect. Somehow the new graphics settings solved my Blu-ray no-display problem. So, now both my problems (Overscan &amp; No Blu-ray Picture on TV) are apparently solved.</p>

Was this information helpful?

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop