Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ralen
Paper Tape
Views: 857
Message 1 of 6

Y570 - bad sectors and chkdsk

Hi, I have Ideapad Y570 with Windows 7 64bit. It's new (three months old), I haven't made any changes to the partitions and everything worked quite fine until recently, then I run chkdsk and it marked almost all empty sectors on the partition (C drive) as bad and as a result I can't access more than 600 GB of the disk space (i.e. the partition behaves like it's almost full, yet there is only 70 GB of data).

So I decided that I cold use some linux live distribution (Ubuntu) to check the disk. However Ubuntu can't mount the partition and when I look at the disk in "Disk Utility" it says: "warning: The partition is misaligned by 2560 bytes. This may result in very poor performance. Repartitioning is suggested." also it suggests to repair the partition using chkdsk in windows (lol).

Any idea how to solve this (something easier than reinstalling)? Or at least how to unmark the sectors as bad? Thanks in advance!

btw: I don't if it is relevant and it's nothing that would bother me, but when I was checking the disk with "Disk Utility" I noticed that according to this utility the partition that is on the SSD disk (which is 32 GB big) has 735 GB and that there is also 18 exabytes (**bleep**!?) of unallocated space.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 816
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y570 - bad sectors and chkdsk

hi ralen.

if the sectors are damaged, i suggest you to contact lenovo support line for replacement but before you can try to perform clean windows installation by pressing one key recover button.

after the installation, run disk scan again and check if the issue persists. if it is, backup your datas to external disk and call lenovo support line to ship your laptop back to service.

hope this helps.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
sle3pingz
Punch Card
Views: 803
Message 3 of 6

Yigit,my Harddisk bad Sector too, when i chkdsk i found 6880 kb in bad sector, omg, 6880 kb is very worst isn'it? If like this, i can got replacement from warranty? And sometimes got an restart when gaming (not overheat), i don't know is RAM Problem or my Hardware is fail , what should i do?
sle3pingz
Punch Card
Views: 801
Message 4 of 6

And i already do recovery too. . No use
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 797
Message 5 of 6

it's better to call support line. if the replacement is necessary, you'll get a new hdd for free if you still have valid warranty.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
lanceearlhaines
What's DOS?
Views: 704
Message 6 of 6

I have the same problem. Disk is full after check disc for both C and D if you select either or both.  This is my second computer from Fry's first one shutdown on me due to a disk error early lucky for me. well if you have a disk error forget about runing any disk utilities like check disk for this computer. The way they have the drives partitioned and working together with the SSD is so unorthodox even tech support had no clue why check disk was causing the problem. The second computer right out of the box I ran check disc and almost every free sector was marked bad again. The drive was almost full again by error in a second machine so its not a hardware issue, the drives are fine, its a software system issue, i.e.; the drives are not being initialized or formatted or partitioned correctly and or the way they have done it is not recognizeable by HDD utilities.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors