Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheEazy
Punch Card
Views: 3,300
Message 1 of 5

Y570 + overheat = no turbo boost?

Hello all, this is my first thread on this forum.

I'm a Y570 user since May 2012 and I never noticed any problems with this laptop but somewhere in December / January it started having low performance in high end games. I decided to format my laptop from recovery disc but it was still happening. So I did few benchmarks using OCCT, furmark etc. and I found the reason. When CPU reaches 85/86 degrees (for example in Battlefield 3) - turbo boost is disabling. I don't know why it's happening because earlier I think I had same temperatures and turbo boost was always ON. 

I did those things:

1. Changed thermal paste to Arctic Silver 5 (yep, I lost warranty and it didn't help much...)
2. Cleaned fans (There was no dust though)
3. Set default power / thermal settings (I'm on "Energy star")

I've searched many threads / videos and yes, there is a fix for it  but it completely disables turbo boost. I didn't pay for like 75% performance instead of 100%....

I got some screenshots after and before playing games.

IDLE : 

http://scr.hu/102m/i5iyt
After some time in OCCT - http://scr.hu/102m/fmu57
After some time of playing FC3 - http://scr.hu/102m/1sksm (as u can see, turbo boost has switched off at 86 degrees)

How to make it not disable?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,246
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y570 + overheat = no turbo boost?

hi TheEazy,

The CPU is probably throtlling down that's why turbo boost is getting disabled.

Can you try to set the power settings to High Performance and make sure minimum processor state / maximum processor state is set to 100% to prevent the CPU from throttling down.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,231
Message 3 of 5

Throttlestop 5.00 is the solution. It bypasses Lenovo's bios CPU throttling when the CPU reaches 85 degrees Celsius. It will keep the turbo boost until you either reach thermal shutdown (around 101 degrees Celsius) or you exceeded the CPU's TDP for a long time (CPU power > 35 watts for i5 or >45 watts for i7). You can also lock your CPU frequency to any GHz you prefer. For example, on my screenshot, I set my GHz to 2.5 GHz

Capture.JPG

If you want full Turbo boost, use this setting:

Capture.JPG

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
TheEazy
Punch Card
Views: 3,144
Message 4 of 5

Sorry for really late answer but I was testing, testing and testing this.

I tried Throttlestop and yes it helped. 

But something weird happened. I tried to play some games without it. I don't know how but the performance was really nice even without turbo boost. Maybe that's because I changed my nvidia drivers....Well I can say this problem is SOLVED (for some time)

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,103
Message 5 of 5

CPUs (especially Intel) these days aren't the bottlenecks in gaming. Turning Turbo Boost off should shave off 10 degrees Celsius at load, and even at stock non turbo frequency, it is still fast enough unless your GPU is something like GTX 680M.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors