Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lux55
Paper Tape
Views: 378
Message 1 of 3

Y570 recovery questions

The HD in my Y570 that I purchased direct from Lenovo in December 2011 died last weekend, 3 weeks after the warranty expired. Lenovo support suggested I send the system back after a $80 non-refundable charge for the diagnosis. While I don't expect an exact estimate without them seeing the system they ballparked the repair costs at $200-$300. Given that this is half the price of replacing the whole system I've decided to research other options.

My first and biggest problem is that I've misplaced the recovery disk. I have a system backup on an external USB hard drive but no system restore disk. I've asked Lenovo if they could help me with this, but they can't find me in their customer database. They're asking for a number that startes with 4242 but there's nothing close to that on the shipping box (which I still have).

Is there any way I can avoid buying a new copy of Windows 7? I have a valid license key (on the bottom of the case) and that copy is only installed on the HD that is no longer readable.

I'm considering replacing the HD with a SSD as they have come down dramatically in price. The one I am looking at, a Samsung 840 Pro mentions that it requires a firmware upgrade to run with Windows 7 64 bit. How can I install the firmware and the drive together? Is this a chicken and the egg situation?

TIA for any/all help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 370
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y570 recovery questions

Hello and welcome,

I can't answer all of your questions, but you should be able to install and activate a clean install of Windows 7 on a new hard drive.

Borrow an install DVD or download an ISO (google "windows 7 legal download notebook review") of the same version that came with your machine. Install then activate with the CoA on the bottom of the laptop.  You'll probably have to use the automated phone activation procedure.  You're stuck with installing all the Lenovo drivers and apps by hand.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Lux55
Paper Tape
Views: 353
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y570 recovery questions

Thanks Zoltan. My first post and I see I already made my first mistake. I should have split my questions into multiple posts. You definitely seem to have answred my one question about being able re-install Windows 7 with my risting license. I'm trying to prevail on Lenovo to sell me a boot disk with their drivers for a nominal fee if they'll ever recognize me as a customer. I'm losing faith quickly that their supoort  will do anything to help other than offer an expensive repair. I know companies have to watch their bottom line and enforce the limitations in their contracts but I was seriously hoping they would offer to meet me in the middle somewhere since the system expired three weeks after the warranty expired.

If I do go down this path I will reply again on how well this panned out. Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors