Did you mean: 
szaybus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,846
Message 1 of 6

Y580 Blinking power button led and power supply turns off

Hi

Recently my Y580 started acting strange:

While doing normal work it's rock stable and everything but when i turn on anything that demands high system performance (i.e. games) the whole system starts to go haywire - fps drop to minimal values, the power button led starts to blink and windows detects the computer as disconnected from the power supply. If i disconnect and reconnect the power adapter it works for a few seconds and goes crazy again.

I have allready ordered a new power adapter since the old one is falling apart anyway but i wont get it till Tuesday.

Any ideas are welcome - i feel comfortable about taking the whole machine apart if it helps.

Now that i think of it i remember that the chasis shocked me once or twice recently - damaged power cable between power socket and motherboard?

Thanks in advance

Guru
Views: 1,821
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y580 Blinking power button led and power supply turns off

Hi,

How many watts is your power brick rated at? I had a similar issue when I used a brick from another laptop. It had the right voltage and the same plug, but it was delivering less power than the original one. When doing basic office stuff it was working fine and charging the battery, but when gaming it would work fine for 2 minutes and then display the same symptoms as your Y580.

Hopefully you ordered the right, more powerful brick. I think the right one is rated at 90W, but I'm not sure.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
pawelduda
What's DOS?
Views: 1,804
Message 3 of 6

I have the same laptop model and the IDENTICAL issue. It started acting up like this around 2 months ago. 

When I unplug the battery and it happens, it powers off instead.

Mostly when executing demanding tasks e.g. playing a game or running a virtual machine with a lot of programs open. Usually first happens after a few hours but then I cannot continue playing the game without having to reconnect the power adapter every 10 seconds or so. 

I replaced thermal paste and did some cleanin - now the max temperatures both on CPU and GPU reach 80 celsius degrees in extreme situations but this still happens. I cannot really tell any steps to reproduce this issue efficently.

I am using original power adapter and everything. The laptop was purchased almost 2 years ago.

pawelduda
What's DOS?
Views: 1,781
Message 4 of 6

I am 90% convinced this indeed is AC adapter issue. Today it would unplug AC constantly while playing but also while doing some CPU-intensive tasks, like launching Chrome or some other application.  Then I checked the adapter and the cable was dangerously hot in some places. Unfortunately I do not have any replacement to try it out with at the moment.

szaybus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,776
Message 5 of 6

Solved it some time ago - had no time to write here.

The whole problem was the DC connector on the motherboard (2 red and 2 black cables from the DC socket on the laptop side) somehow disconnected from the motheboard leaving only a slight "touching" spot. It was enough to charge on idle but the connection surface was clearly not big enough to transfer 6A of current.

TBH i cant imagine how it could have disconnected since it "clicks" in and holds steady enough. Also the plastic connectors were all yellow'ish - heat related possibly.

My advice for anyone with this problem - check resistance on the whole cable from the socket on the side to motherboard soldering if possible - also check the cable from the power adapter to the connector.

Thanks for all the tips anyway

szaybus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,774
Message 6 of 6

@pawelduda wrote:

I am 90% convinced this indeed is AC adapter issue. Today it would unplug AC constantly while playing but also while doing some CPU-intensive tasks, like launching Chrome or some other application.  Then I checked the adapter and the cable was dangerously hot in some places. Unfortunately I do not have any replacement to try it out with at the moment.

Get a new AC adapter or get the old one to any electronic service to replace the whole DC cable with the plug up to the soldering in the adapter. That costed me about 10euro/40zł

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors