cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quantus456
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,322
Message 1 of 3

Y580 Boot Failure Unrelated to Specific Program (possibly RapidDrive)

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I would really appreciate ANY advice you can give me regarding the problem I am currently facing with my Lenovo Y580 purchased in October of 2012.

System Specifications:

Lenovo Y580 20994NU

CPU: Intel i7-3630QM

RAM: 8 GB

HDD: 1 TB

SSD: 32 GB

LAN: 100M/1000M

ODD: BRDVD

Display: 15.6” FHD LED

Battery: 6 Cell

Summary of Problem:

I get the error message below after my computer’s C drive reaches a certain size (depends on the order of install of programs/drivers/updates and the version of Windows 7). I know this is a very general error that usually applies to a specific “bad” program or driver that causes an error while the computer is booting after its installation. However, I have tried multiple orders of installation of the same programs/drivers/windows updates to ensure that one program is not causing the problem. The reason I am confident that this is not the case is because I use OKR to make backups after every 5 or so programs that I install. Once the error comes up, I revert to the last backup and test various orders of installation without any effect—the error still comes up. In addition, I have tried reverting to several backups prior and installing the supposed culprit program—the error does not come up then.

The computer is running Lenovo RapidDrive. I suspect this is causing this “limit.” Does or did anyone else have this problem and/or know of a fix?

After the error message, I am including a bit more on what I have tried so far (general steps of prior “bad” installs and the full detailed steps of one “bad” install).

Error Message:

“Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
  2. Choose your language setting, and then click “Next.”
  3. Click “Repair your computer.”

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

ENTER=Continue                                                                                                                                              ESC=Exit”

Try #1:

1. Start with computer entirely in OEM state (hard drive wiped, then re-imaged using OKR DVDs).
  2. Install several GB’s of programs (~30 GB)
  3. Start to install important windows updates
  4. After installing ~15 updates (any 15 on the list), during the restart to finish installing windows updates (when the computer is booting up after shutting down), the computer displays the error message

Try #2:

1. Start from OEM installation
  2. Follow this guide “http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=12870415982811” to replace Windows 7 Home Premium with Windows 7 Ultimate
  3. Install RapidDrive
  4. Install all drivers (from D drive of computer)
  5. Install ~10 GB of programs
  6. Install all windows updates (~150 or so)
  7. Install ~20 GB of programs
  8. During the restart to finish installing Adobe CS6 (when the computer is booting up after shutting down), the computer displays the error message

Detail of Try #2:

*Note some steps have been omitted for privacy reasons

0. Started from OEM installation (recovered from OEM backup on reserved partition)

1. Run the Lenovo Rapid Drive separator tool (USB > RapidDrive > Tool > RapidDriveTool.exe)

2. Reboot (press F2 on this reboot)

3. Disable UEFI in BIOS

4. Make sure Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CD is inserted

5. Let computer startup (will boot into Windows install environment)

6. Now, you should see the SSD as disk 0 with two partitions and you should see 1 tb drive as disk 1 with three partitions (or two in this case) C and Lenovo_Part

7. Now, delete both partitions on SSD, then delete the C drive on the disk 1

8. Point the windows installer to the SSD and hit install

9. Setup will go through, go through initial setup

10. Then install RapidDrive (make sure there is space at beginning of 1 tb drive)

11. Reboot (press F2 on this reboot)

11. Reenable UEFI in BIOS

12. Made all drives using tool in Computer Management

Removed system restore points (Right click on Computer -> Properties -> System protection -> Configure)

Set "Protection" to "Off" for all "Available Drives"

Now looks like:

C_small_part is 100 MB

C_large_part is rest

System_recovery is 19.53 GB

Shrunk C drive to 200 GB

Made D drive to 100 GB

Made E drive to 500 MB

Made F drive to 80 GB

Made H drive to 100 GB

Made I drive to 100 GB

Made J drive to 360 GB + remainder

(Use Computer Management drive tool to make all drives)

13. Install all drivers

For IRST, check install Intel Control Center

After OneKey Theater, changed display setting to "Movie"

For all others, keep default options (but verify through custom installation selection)

Restart computer after every installation

Order: RapidDrive, OneKey Recovery,

<---- backup 1 ---->

Touchpad, VGA (Intel, Nvidia), Audio, AHCI, MEI, IRST, USB 3.0,

<---- backup 2 ---->

LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, CardReader, Camera, Energy Management, Lockkey, OneKey Theater,

Intel Wireless Display, Wireless Music, YouCam, VeriFace, PowerDVD 10 BD, EE Boot Optimizer

<---- backup 3 ---->

Then, installed Cyberlink Power2Go 7

Then, installed 2 hotfixes (KB2482122, KB2496820)                

<---- ~18.9 GB used ->

<---- backup 4 ---->

14. Change desktop icons to small icons (Right-click -> View -> Small icons)

15. Add "Computer" to Desktop icons (Right-click -> Personalize -> Change desktop icons)

16. Delete all other icons than "Computer" and "Recycle Bin" with "Computer" on top, left and "Recycle Bin" just below

17. Delete Lenovo theme under "My Themes" and apply Windows 7 theme under "Aero Themes" (Right-click -> Personalize)

18. Change effects (Right-click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Visual Effects)

Leave 7 chedked:             "Enable Aero Peek"

"Enable desktop composition"

"Show thumbnails instead of icons"

"Show translucent selection rectangle"

"Show window contents while dragging"

"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

"Use visual styles on windows and buttons"

19. Change Windows color to gray and change intensity to max (Right-click -> Personalize -> Window Color)

23. Move page file (Right-click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual memory -> Change)

Uncheck "Automatically manage..."

Set paging file to "system managed" and move paging file to last partition (J)

Any prior paging files might need to be manually deleted (specifically on D)

24. Change startup settings (Right-click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings)

Change "Default operating system" to desired

Uncheck "Automatically restart"

25. Turn off unused Windows features (Control Panel -> Programs and Features)

Uncheck "Tablet PC Components"

26. Determine Windows Experience Index (Right-click on Computer -> Properties)

28. Set default folder view in Windows Explorer

29. Set the Windows 7 Logon background to Lenovo Windows Ultimate default

<---- ~19.0 GB used ->

<---- backup 5 ---->

30. Install ImgBurn

31. Install Virtual Clone Drive

32. Install CCleaner, Recuva

33. Install spacetornado Renamer

34. Install WinRAR

35. Install TI Connect

36. Install Audacity, LAME mp3 plugin

37. Install Format Factory

38. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~19.2 GB used ->

<---- backup 6 ---->

39. Install Symantec Endpoint Protection

41. Update definitions of Symantec Endpoint Protection

43. Get Windows Updates

Choose "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Check "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates"

Update Windows Update

Check for updates

Hide all Windows 7 Language Pack Updates       

Install KB2647753 (1)

Install important updates (130)

Check for updates

Install all other important updates (8)

Install optional updates (5) except for (1):

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other Hardware

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M (226.2 MB)

44. Determine Windows Experience Index (Right-click on Computer -> Properties)

45. Install latest Nvidia GTX 660M driver

47. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~25.6 GB used ->

<---- backup 7 ---->

48. Setup Internet Explorer 10

49. Install Google Chrome

50. Install Firefox

51. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~25.7 GB used ->

<---- backup 8 ---->

$$ 51. Turn off scheduled disk defragmenting

$$ 52. Change Control Panel view to "Small icons"

$$ 53. Turn off Action Center messages (Control Panel -> Action Center)

$$ 54. Install HotKey Resolution Changer

55. Install MozBackup

56. Install VLC Media Player

57. Setup Windows Media Player

60. Install Adobe Flash Player

61. Install Adobe Shockwave Player

62. Install Adobe Air

63. Install Java (use offline installer)

64. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~26.2 GB used ->

<---- backup 9 ---->

65. Install Microsoft Office

66. Install Adobe Acrobat

67. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~31.5 GB used ->

<---- bkup 10 ---->

68. Install ChemBioOffice

69. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~34.5 GB used ->

<---- bkup 11 ---->

70. Install Matlab

71. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~44.1 GB used ->

<---- bkup 12 ---->

72. Install Wolfram Mathematica

73. Open CCleaner

Run Cleaner

<---- ~47.1 GB used ->

<---- bkup 13 ---->

71. Install Adobe CS6

Sorry for the long post. If you have any suggestions please post!

quantus456
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,278
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y580 Boot Failure Unrelated to Specific Program (possibly RapidDrive)

Does anyone else experience this error (and have RapidDrive installed) on a Y580?

billr
What's DOS?
Views: 1,261
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y580 Boot Failure Unrelated to Specific Program (possibly RapidDrive)

I also have a Y580 with your identical system specs. that also came with a 32GB mSATA.  I was using around 800GB on my C: drive.  I had a couple hundred gigabytes of installed games (STEAM Games) and Origin (Battlefield 3).

I never saw this error.  One thing that kind of sticks out to me though due to my issues is CC Cleaner.

I'm having a different problem, but may be related to yours.

Basically,  I put my hard drive in another USB enclosure and into another PC to back up the content only to find the main drive partition couldn't be read, only the little 32GB addon.  I always thought the 32GB 'drivers' directory was the mSATA.

After I factory restored my laptop with a new hard drive and the original mSATA, I was like no big deal, I"ll just put my original hard drive back in.  It blue screened.  I ran windows repair and it 'fixed the registry'.   Now the computer boots and looks like a factory install regardless of which hard drive is installed.

I have a hunch that the files on the hard drive or information about them is stored in the registry for some reason.  Maybe it uses this for the caching mechanism?

I see the use of CC Cleaner on your post.  Don't run CC Cleaner before you reboot.  It tries to get rid of unused/crap stuff and it may be accidentally blowing away needed stuff for the rapid storage.  Just a theory.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-mSATA-formatted-my-hard-drive-informat...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors