Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,609
Message 1 of 26

Y580 Boot Failures

I own my Y580 for 2 weeks now and everything was fine. Since yesterday booting fails with a blank screen and the light of the keyboard lighted. Switching the Y580 off with the power button and trying 5-10 times to boot, Windows 7 starts up and works fine. After this rebooting and/or switching off/on works fine many times.

Waiting several hours i.e.. over night with the Y580 switches off, the problem shows up again.

I have installed the usual Windows 7 updates and a new driver for the GPU. I restored WIndows to the point before the GPU driver update - same problem.

Any comments?

As WIndows does not try to boot at all, I wonder if Windows is the cause of the problem or something else?

Thank you,

Jens

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,599
Message 2 of 26

Re: Y580 Boot Failures

Hi
Welcome to the forum
I would like to confirm from you as after reading your post I got a bit confused. Do you mean that upon pressing the power button, does the lenovo screen come up or only the starting windows doesn't come up?
Please confirm this once
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,578
Message 3 of 26

ishaan,

Thank you for asking. When the Y580 is completely shut down and when I press the power button, there is no reaction other than the lighting of the keyboard. The screen stays completely dark, no error code, no lenovo screen.

I have to press the power button for several seconds to get the system down totally. If I try this 5-10 times, the system boots properly.

Return to seller?

Thank you,

Jens

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,574
Message 4 of 26

Hi
Dont be so hasty to return the laptop to seller. Keep it as the last otion. Till then i would try to help you.
There is a bios update for y580 in the support site, did you try it once?
And is there any unsual symptom in windows also?
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,565
Message 5 of 26

ishaan,

tonight I ran OneKey Recovery to external USB-drive after I got the system to boot.

Right now I create bootable DVD's just in case (will need some time).

After I get Windows 7 up and running all seems ok, no complains.

Tomorrow I will check for the BIOS update you suggested - thank you for pointing this out.

As I am working on my job during daytime, please stay tuned until I post the result.

Thank you,

Jens

jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,544
Message 6 of 26

ishaan,

I have checked the BIOS version of my system - it is exactly the one that is on the Lenovo support site:

5DCN40WW (2.07)

Trying to install, it just tells me "not newer than the one already installed".

As I did not have any idea what to try next, I reset the BIOS options to factory default. Needless to say, that I did NOT change anything before, the settings were the ones delivered with the system.

Just thought writing might change anything.

Now I will check tonight if something has changed.

Any ideas very welcome what to try next.

Thank you,

Jens

Former Employee
Views: 5,537
Message 7 of 26

Hi jens2,

Just a quick check, when you boot the machine was it connected to the AC or was it running on battery?

I would suggest as well to update the Intel Management Firmware from our support site http://support.lenovo.com

hope this helps.

Regards
jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,528
Message 8 of 26

NiNE,

the failure shows up with and without power supply connected.

I had a look into the site you suggested - is the "Intel Management Engine Interface for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Y480, Y580" the firmware component? It is from 20 Mar 2012 so I think it should be installed.

How can I double-check?

Thank you,

Jens

Former Employee
Views: 5,505
Message 9 of 26

Hi jens2,

You should be able to check from the "Control Panel" > "Programs & Features". Within the list is should be listed as either "Intel Management Firmware Interface" Or "Intel Management Firmware Component".

Hope this helps.

Regards
TheJanitor
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,489
Message 10 of 26

I am having this exact problem with my Z580. I've been using it without failure since its purchase in July 2012. This morning it did not come back from reboot after removing a piece of unwanted software. All the lights came on suggesting it was running, and the fans and hard drive were on, though the hard drive head was not moving (no "tick-tick-tick" when a stethoscope was used against the case). Suspecting an issue with the graphics card or display, I attached an external monitor. Nothing. Shut it down again, and, in case it was the hard drive, put a bootable DVD in the the optical drive. Turned it on, got the post display, and it booted from the hard drive. Removed the optical disc, shut it down, and again got no post on restoring power - just sat there with all the lights on, nothing on the display. Put DVD back in to try it again, but got no post upon restoring power, so it had nothing to do with that. And it didn't matter whether power cord was plugged in or not - actually turning on seems to have become a random event. I tried unplugging from the adapter, removing the battery and holding power button for a while before restoring power - I tried every trick I know, short of opening the case and hunting cold solder joints. Post is not being triggered when the power button is pressed - and I'd find it hard to believe this isn't a hardware issue.

In any case, I got it to boot again (by continuously pressing the power button, then holding it down when it failed until I got a Post/Lenovo splash screen ), and am in process of backing up all my files (already had recovery DVDs, but they can't fix a hardware issue). Once done, I will wipe all data, wipe the open areas of the disk, and seek a service center (Notably, the IBM ESC+ system does not handle Ideapads...). If, before I send this beast in for repair, someone comes up with a solution that can be executed in the home, I will do so, but I haven't, to my knowledge, updated any BIOS-level software to have caused anything of this sort and, after better than 6 months on the thing, it looks an awful lot like faulty hardware to this electrical engineer.

A note to Lenovo, if they're "listening": Over the past 20 years, I've never had a hardware failure with a Dell laptop. I still have every one, and they all still work - even one old junker that still has DOS 4.0/Windows 3.1 running on it. My compaq, one of my Toshibas, my ACER, and now this Lenova are all in the bad column. Lesson learned by me...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors