Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smartron
What's DOS?
Views: 1,501
Message 21 of 26

Re: Y580 Boot Failures

I haven't hit boot failures yet, I am on my third machine with the first two having keyboard failures.

jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,486
Message 22 of 26

First week passed by with no feedback about repair status ...

Someone like to make a guess about how long it will take until I get my Y580 back?

TheJanitor
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,473
Message 23 of 26

As a follow-on, when I didn't receive a box by Thursday, I called the support line again. Lenovo does not send shipping boxes for laptops to be returned for depot repair. Repeat: Lenovo does not send shipping boxesThey do send them for desktop computers, though. I went to FedEx today, packaged it up in a FedEx laptop box, and sent it off - a week later than I could have if the first operator had been clear in the procedures. Effectively now, Lenovo will be receiving my laptop for repair on the date that, had I had the correct information, they should have been turning it around to me. 

Man Frustrated

jens2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,439
Message 24 of 26

Just to post a short status: It took 3 weeks until I got my Y580 back. Some comments about the status:

- Lenovo does not have a repair center in Germany (?) but uses the one of "Medion". Medion produces low price PC and Notebook systems mainly for the discounter "Aldi". Don't know if I really like this.

- The Y580 boots but the disk has been reset to factory status.

- One of the two 4GB memory boards was replaced. This might explain the boot problem of the notebook.

-  What might be interesting: I used "OneKey Recovery" to make a backup on my external "Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0" disk before I sent it for repair. This worked well. BUT it was not possible to restore the backup from this device. It is not listed at all when connected to the notebook trying to restore. What worked was to copy the directory holding the files to a USB 3.0 stick.

I could restore my system and right now I hope the Y580 will continue working more than the three weeks it did before I had to send t for repair.

TheJanitor
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,434
Message 25 of 26

Follow up #2. Laptop repaired day it was received (replace MOBO and re-imaged drive. Why the latter, I'll never know...) Fedex status sat at "data received" for about 5 days. Finally received the laptop back Thursday and have been putting the software load and data back together. So far, so good...

sonjz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,299
Message 26 of 26

I also have the same issue, just purchased 2012-10-13.

I noticed it from the start, the POST (freezing pre BIOS screen) wouldn't come up, but after explicit shutdown, it usually came back.

But in the last 2 months, it has gotten progressively worse.

And even more so the last 2 days I couldn't get POST no matter what I tried, after leaving it for 12+ hours I got it to boot randomly.

All morning it wouldn't boot at all, and I was in a 900$ training course.

Since my data is tied into with the Intel SRT I pretty much have to boot to get the data off, I hope this happens soon, and then I'll ship to Lenovo depot.

Anyone get a response from Lenovo what the actual issue was?

It appears to be a product defect that requires a recall.  What's the point of this powerful little media machine when you are playing a hit or miss game on boot up?

Jason.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors