Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jerryz2002
Paper Tape
Views: 835
Message 1 of 2

Y580 Click of Death

My laptop has been doing this on and off for a few weeks now, but I think today is its last day. I press the power button, the Lenovo logo comes up, and this clicking noise occurs every half a second. Before I would be able to turn it on and off a few times and the boot process would continue normally, but now, it's been 3 hours, I haven't completed my school assignment, and the HDD doesn't even show up at the boot device selection anymore. Does the base warranty cover this kind of defect?

BShaftoe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 828
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y580 Click of Death

The "click of death" is sign of impending HDD failure. Once you start to hear it, you should back up your personal data immediately. As of now, it is highly likely that your HDD died. Given this unit's high HDD temperatures, I'm not surprised at the decreased lifespan of the unit's HDD. Your computer should still be under warranty, but then you will have to deal with Lenovo's spotty customer service, may be getting the in-house visit warranty is a way to go (not trying to upsell you since I don't have this myself). Some turnarounds have been around 30 days or more! You can google "hdd freezer recovery" if you really need to copy something off that HDD. Granted, I don't know if this method violates your warranty nor am I responsible for anything related to this method if you decide to do it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors