cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jspilliod
Paper Tape
Views: 8,297
Message 1 of 13

Y580 Fn key problems - on-screen icons do not display.

Hi all,

I recently encountered a problem with my Fn keys. When I hold Fn and press one of the shortcut keys, the on screen icons for that function do not display. If I press Fn+arrow keys, the volume or brightness will change, but the icons do not display. Similarly, I can put my laptop to sleep with Fn+F1 or disable the touchpad with Fn+F6 (but again, the icons do not display).

The big problem is that right before this problem started, I disabled wireless with the shortcut Fn+F5. Since that function relies on the on screen icon, I am unable to restart wireless capability, so I am stuck on Ethernet (a big problem considering I am at college.)

I have read that reinstalling Energy Management software should fix the issue. I tried that several times, but nothing happened. I have tried using System Restore to a time before the problem started, but nothing changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium by the way.

Thanks

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,252
Message 2 of 13

Re: Y580 Fn key problems - on-screen icons do not display.

In task manager utility.exe is running or it is not?
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
jspilliod
Paper Tape
Views: 8,250
Message 3 of 13

No, it is not.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,222
Message 4 of 13

Ok open task manager and click new task in the first tab of task manager and then run utility.exe from there. You might use start search to find the correct location of utility.exe. Please do this and then see if the on screen display comes. You could run utility.exe directly also but if it doesnt run then run it through task manager.

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
jspilliod
Paper Tape
Views: 8,213
Message 5 of 13

ishaan,

Thank you for the reply... I tried both methods of running utility.exe but neither accomplished anything. I just updated my display drivers but that didn't do anything either.
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,201
Message 6 of 13

If the on screen display came before, you could try a system restore to that point. Might be some program because of which it is happening.
rom9
Punch Card
Views: 8,196
Message 7 of 13

Try this:

Uninstall the following 4 drivers/apps:

1. Realtek audio driver

2. SRS

3. OKT

4. Energy Management

5. I cannot remember the name of this program. Its on the Lenovo Drive called Onekey somehitng. Its not the one key theater nor the one key recovery. Its for the pop ups on the screen when u press caps lock or num lock or the Fn+brightness. Will post back if i find it !

Reinstall all 5 programs in the same order !!!

jspilliod
Paper Tape
Views: 8,173
Message 8 of 13

@ishaan - I have already tried several system restores as I mentioned in my original post.

@rom9 - I don't see SRS, OKT, or the Onekey programs anywhere. I am really stuck it seems.
krisanne_93
What's DOS?
Views: 8,049
Message 9 of 13

I can only try to help out with the on-screen display of the function problem (hopefully the net problem would also be affected). Anyways, I recently had this problem with my Lenovo S10-2 (actually resolved about 10 min before writing this reply). My friend uninstalled energy management. What I did was download it again from Lenovo's website for S10-2 (my laptop). And then after downloading it, running it and selecting Modify where it will install utilities.exe and another thing (I forgot xD). It automatically saved in the C: folder under the folder Drivers (yes with a capital D cause there was this other folder with DRIVER in all caps, ignore that). I opened Drivers folder and cut the content (entitled Lenovo Energy Management Driver) and pasted that into D: under the folder drivers. After that, i opened the folder and clicked on setup.exe and clicked on Repair (you will choose between Modify, Repair, and Uninstall i think). Well that's just what I did. I got lucky! i hope it will work for you! It did for me. Like after i "Repaired" it, it changed the brightness and i knew that energy management was working again. I tried Fn+arrow keys and it was displaying, the functions on the screen i mean. Smiley Happy good luck! P.S. I don't think your net is directly affected by the on screen display of function.

modrob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,087
Message 10 of 13

I have the same problem now, after updating the EnergyManagment to v8.0.2.3. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn´t helped out, just like all the other solutions recommended here. What is the utitlity.exe for by the way? i haven´t got that one in my tasks.
I would be happy if someone could help

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors