Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,637
Message 1 of 17

Y580 GPU temps!! Calling all experts!!!

I appologize for the lengthy post, but i need to give some backstory to convey where i am now. Ill try not to rant too much and just give the facts. Please keep reading as i do need advice!

I bought my y580 last December as a manufacturer refurb. and it has been quite the amazing machine. I ordered a mushkin atlas 120gb msata on the same day i bought the computer and installed it almost instantly. Clean install onto the ssd went smoothly. I then loaded up some games and started playing like I havent played in years. Unfortunately, this is where the machine started to show its flaws. First off, the touchpad had some dead spots on the far right side when i recieved it. This wasnt a big deal. I usually use a mouse anyways as trackpads kind of annoy me. The real problem appeared when i started looking at my GPU temperatures.

It took me a couple of months to slowly realize the scale of the problem, but i began noticing that keyboard was becoming much hotter than i expected under extended gaming right away. After awhile  I loaded msi afterburner to see if i should be worried, only to find my temps while playing diablo III and starcraft were in the mid 80'sC in a matter of minutes. Sill not alarmed, I continued to play away, then I got farcry 3. High 80'sC pushing 90C 91C at times. shortly after, bioshock brought it to its knees hitting 93C-94C. At this point I cant live in denial anymore. I downloaded furmark and ran a 15min 1080p burn in test, but decided to shut it down about 2/3 though because the GPU had reached 97C and  had begun to level off but wasnt stopping. I should point out that through all of this i never had any artifacting, freezing, crashing or significant throttling.

Regrettably, it is at this point the end of April (I know, i know I shouldnt have let it go that long.... but life's been crazy). My wife is still in school and had finals comming up, so i had to sit and wait to send the computer in for repairs, but eventually i get it in at the begining of June, being extra careful in between. This is where the fun starts. Lenovo calls me a couple of days later insisting that the motherboard is shot and they will have to replace it. Furthermore, they say that my installing of the 3rd party msata is to blame, so it will not be covered by warranty and I am on the hook for $350 to repair it. Looong story short I argue my way on up the chain of command until I find someone who can make things happen, and they do. I will say that lenovo was actually great throughout this proccess (with the exception of the first service rep. I talked to who just kept trying to take my credit card info) and seemed to do everything they could to help me.

They eventually agreed that the card was compatible and wasnt the cause, saying they would contact me with more information. no information ever came, which was fine because what did come was my computer featuring a brand new motherboard, a new hdd ( they replace the 500gb that came with the system), top cover,and touchpad. Open the box, start it up, and noticed a few things immediately. For one, the ssd is still in the system, but its in lenovo's Rapiddrive configuration. Thats fine, but not optimal. I install furmark right off the bat, and run the same 15 min benchmark. 91C. Better... but not great. I knew I'd be calling lenovo in the morning, but because i cant leave anything be, I did another clean install on the ssd to see if it did in fact change the temperature. About 1/2 way though this proccess it dawns on me that the computer would have been set to "balanced" instead of lenovo "dynamic graphics". Ran furmark again after the install was done (making sure to set the power correctly) and low and behold.... it levels off at 94C!

I now have called lenovo again. They said they would try again, but they'd like me to talk to an engineer first. So i will olbige. He is supposed to call me on Wednesday. In the meantime i guess i just need a soundingboard to make sure I'm not crazy.

1) Are these temps within the acceptable range? I know i can be a perfectionist and a bit obsessive. If not, what is the acceptable range for this card in the y580? I have had trouble locking down hard figures on this. notebookcheck says they ran furmark and it peaked at 86C.

2) Is it actually possible that my msata did damage the motherboard? and if so, is it safer to use it in lenovo's rapid drive configuration?

3)I was surprised when they didnt immediately offer to repaste the heatsink. Could that be the issue? Is that something I could do myself, safely?

4) Does anyone know of problems like this? and how have they been solved?

5) I should also point out that the 660m will not run on battery. it begins at 450 mhz (or maybe 405, I dont remember), but after about 5 mins throttles down to idle speeds of 135mhz. Is that normal? or does all this point to a bad gtx 660m?

Thank you for reading my rambling. please advise me

DaNiC
Punch Card
Views: 2,610
Message 2 of 17

Re: Y580 GPU temps!! Calling all experts!!!

Hey, I've been having heating issues with my Y580 as well since I've bought it in February.

Basically it gets pretty hot fast and from what you've written here your temperatures seem kind of high.

I'd always recommend you game with the laptop connected to a power source and with a cooling pad and in a place which is kind of cool and not warm otherwise you'll be getting really high temperatures.

In my opinion the GPU/CPU should reach around 70-75 while doing something intense (gaming editing)..
Another tip I can give you is when you aren't running anything intensive try to be with Power Saver mode that way the CPU wont throttle and will stay at a low frequency and you'll get lower temperatures, and when you play put it on Balanced, there isn't much to be gained by Performance mode and Lenovo Dynamic Graphics pushes the GPU a bit harder than Performance and Balanced with a barely noticeable increase in FPS and higher temps..

By the way, when you installed the mSata.. did you remove the HDD that came with the laptop? Or did you put it instead of the optical drive?
Because i'm having issues sometimes with the HDD heating up to around 50C+ while gaming..

All in all its a great machine but cooling is always an issue with gaming laptops.

malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,573
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did not move or remove my hdd. I simply installed an msata into the open port on the motherboard. Lenovo ships certain models of the y580 with a small msata ssd for cacheing. I was also trying to reduce heat on the hdd by letting it spin down while i was performing intensive tasks.

I do always use my computer plugged in ( I discovered the battery glitch on a fluke) and though I do not have a cooling pad, I do elevate the  computer with a mesh shelf to increase airflow. It helps just as much as any cooling pad I've ever owned. Of course, I am cheap so maybe i just havent owned good ones.

I was intrigued by your suggestion of just using the "Balanced" power setting. It seems so obvious, and I actually was quite impressed by the performance with it. Fps drops about 10%, but in the realm of 30-40 fps, 3 or 4 frames really isn't much. It does irk me a bit that I'm essentially underclocking my card 115 mhz just to solve my heat issue, but it is a solution I suppose. Honestly, my temps still seem too high. Even on "Balanced" the computer maxed off at 84C, and I had to stunt my card's performance just to acheive that. I could be crazy though.

Any more input would be appreciated.

DaNiC
Punch Card
Views: 2,559
Message 4 of 17

I believe you can remove your optical drive and maybe install there some kind of fan (or move your HDD over so it wont heat up so much) though i'm not sure, either way you'd have to buy a special tray for that once you remove the optical drive and its quite a hassle i think..

Other than that the only thing i can think of would be to pick up a cooling pad and maybe some dust busting tools along with replacing thermal paste..

Heating issues on these kind of laptops are very common and that's why at around average they stay around for 2-3 years after heavy use from what I've read.

I guess I didn't do enough reading myself on the longevity before picking this one up but whatever. :-P
Guru
Views: 2,534
Message 5 of 17

Most answers are false.

Kepler GPUs reach 60-80C during gaming. A 660M should reach 75C at most referring to my Y500.

CPU can reach a stunning 85-100C

What likely is happening with you is probably you need to do is first check if the cooling is not filled with dust. For this the laptop needs to be dismantled. Best is to have an expert do this. Or someone who did this before.

If the cooling is clean during your analysis, then next thing you might want to do is replace the thermal paste. Have this done by a expert as well, having not enough thermal paste might result into running too hot, while applying too much thermal paste will ruin your temps as well.

Do this and you will be fine.

BEFORE dismantling your laptop, first disable turbo boost by setting balanced power plan, next set MAX PROCESSOR STATE to 99%

Now see if the CPU has a 70-80 temp. If CPU is in that range with turbo boost disabled and GPU is still way high then the heatsink is not probably seated on the GPU and/or thermal paste needs to be replaced.

This has nothing to do with a SSD or a HDD or anything else.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,510
Message 6 of 17

It's refreshing to hear someone else say what I've thought all along. Thermal paste.

I believe the cooling is clean. I cleaned it out myself before I sent it in, although i did not completely dismantle it .So many components where replaced it seem like they would have checked it as well.

I ran furmark with power plan set as balanced and max processor state at 99%. gpu maxed at 88C, but HWmonitor  showed cpu cores never going above 69C. SSD at 54C. HDD at 52C. This is during a standard 15 min burn in. Can I ask why 99% instead of 100%? I'm assuming its to keep the cpu from fully kicking in to isolate the temperature variables, but I'm just curious.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,503
Message 7 of 17

Furmark is GPU intensive process so CPU isn't even being tasked. Since the CPU and GPU share 1 heatsink and 1 fan, it's normal for that CPU to reach 69 °C while the GPU is 88 °C which is close to alarming temps.

The reason for 99% maximum processor state is to turn off Intel Turbo Boost which increases your CPU's GHz to 3.2 - 3.3 GHz (i7-3610QM) if you're gaming. Higher CPU temps will lead to higher GPU temps (due to the way the laptop fan and heatsink are designed) thus making the game laggy. Turning Turbo Boost off in all cases reduces the CPU temperature and GPU temperature by 5-10 degrees. BTW, many laptops with higher end dedicated GPUs (GTX 765M or greater) have 2 fans and 2 heatsinks (1 for CPU and 1 for GPU) so that the heat produced by those chips aren't being shared, and it makes for a quieter and more efficient cooling. Temperatures caused by Intel Turbo Boost won't be a problem with those more expensive laptops like Alienware, Asus RoG, etc.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,495
Message 8 of 17

Thats what I thought. Is this something I should be using all the time, or is it just a demonstration. Should i really have to tone my computer so far down just the make it not sweat bullets?

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,490
Message 9 of 17

@malynch7 wrote:

Thats what I thought. Is this something I should be using all the time, or is it just a demonstration. Should i really have to tone my computer so far down just the make it not sweat bullets?

Not really, like your Y580, the CPU and GPU on my y470 share the same fan and heatsink. I keep Turbo Boost ON all the time even when gaming. I've never had huge FPS drop issue due to CPU and GPU throttling. Intel Turbo Boost never deactivates while gaming since I clean the fan and heatsink with compressed air every 2 weeks to minimize dust buildup. However, my CPU temperatures reaches 90 - 93 degrees Celsius and the GPU is around 83 degrees while gaming in summer (My apartment doesn't have AC). In winter, the gaming temperatures are in the low 70's and that's with Turbo Boost ON.

Capture 2.JPG

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Highlighted
malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,476
Message 10 of 17

Do you set the power plan to "Balanced" or "Lenovo Dynamic" for those temperatures?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors