cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 816
Message 11 of 17

Re: Y580 GPU temps!! Calling all experts!!!

For Y470 and Y570, there's no such thing as Lenovo Dynamic Graphics. Only "Energy Star", "Balanced", "Power Saver", "Super Energy Saver" and "High Performance." I set mine to "High Performance" since it's the highest state in the plan. Energy Star is basically balanced but tweaked for higher battery life. I monitor my CPU's temperature and GHz using Real Temp while playing Metro2033, Blacklight Retribution, LoL, etc. For GPU, I use GPU-Z. I always save the data in a log file instead of fancy graphs since it only uses very little CPU and GPU cycles.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 807
Message 12 of 17

So to sum up, we're all on the same page and my gpu needs to be repasted? So im on the right track. Like I said I'm supposed to get a call from Lenovo Wed. Is it best to try to get them to do it? knowing that they will use the same cheap thermal compound, should I attempt this myself or have this done by a someone else? a repair shop or something? I just worry about the longterm health of the components. I'm not made of money, and need this thing to last.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 797
Message 13 of 17

@malynch7 wrote:

So to sum up, we're all on the same page and my gpu needs to be repasted? So im on the right track. Like I said I'm supposed to get a call from Lenovo Wed. Is it best to try to get them to do it? knowing that they will use the same cheap thermal compound, should I attempt this myself or have this done by a someone else? a repair shop or something? I just worry about the longterm health of the components. I'm not made of money, and need this thing to last.

I never repasted mine. I know for a fact that if you decide to repaste it yourself or in a repair shop, your warranty will be voided since you have to break the Lenovo seal that leads to removal of the motherboard from the chassis before you can access the CPU and GPU. If you send the laptop to Lenovo, they know that you voided the warranty since the seal was broken. If you decide to repaste it, I suggest to wait until the warranty is over.

I also don't think they used cheap thermal compound. It's just that the robotic assembly line put either too much or too little thermal paste in the CPU and GPU. If the instance of CPU and GPU throttling during gaming because of overheating, I would also let a technician repaste it. Hopefully, I won't need to ever do that.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 756
Message 14 of 17

Spoke to Lenovo Tech and they seemed to think these temps are normal, but agreed to repaste the heatsink and take a look at the fans anyway. I really hope this will help. I will post results when the machine returns for people with a similar problem. Wish me luck!

malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 718
Message 15 of 17

Got my system back a couple of days ago, and I'm happy to report that my temperatures have dropped significantly. They seem to stay within the 60's when gaming and I have yet to see it get hotter than 74C despite consistent testing and benchmarking. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys gave me and to anyone seeing high temps on their own y580, make the call to lenovo if you're under warranty. They were very helpful despite the few hickups along the way. Even if you make it all the way to the SWAT Lab, as I did, it'll be worth it for the long term health of your components. Hell, I can even start to think about overclocking now if I really want to. If you're not under warranty, i suggest repasting your heatsink either yourself or at a local repair shop. Thanks for listening.

malynch7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 492
Message 16 of 17

Update: Just in case anyone is still reading this, these temps rose back to their original values over the course of the next few months. I'm not sure what the repair shop uses for thermal paste, but it must deteriorate quickly. Now that I am out of warranty, I decided to repaste myself using Tuniq TX-4. I used http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2837-how-dismantle-y580.html as a guide although there are a few things I should mention. 1) there is a casing screw left out of the guide. It is located to the southwest of the msata slot. 2) Some of the system board connections can be reached through the access panel before the board is removed. 3) My system had a mysterious cable running from the system board to the daughter board that is not depicted in this disassembly or in lenovo's manual. It ran parallel to the ribbon and required a screwdriver, the gauge of which I did not have, to remove it (or at least appeared to) so I simply removed to daughter board along with the system board.

All in all, it was an easy process that took about 1 1/2 hrs. Temps are back down under 72C gpu and 80C cpu when stress tested using Furmark and Prime95. I've OC'd the 660m to 1050/2800 and it still stays under 75C. These numbers are without a cooling pad or propping up the computer and have stayed consistant for about 3 months. The paste job was not bad at all. It must be the quality of the paste used.

ceebu
Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 17 of 17

Thanks malynch7, I have been hving heating problems as well and never explored to the paste option.. guess its time for me to.. ! Gla dot know the impact it has on the temp..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals