Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghost277
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,624
Message 1 of 8

Y580 GTX 660M no longer detected?

Hey guys. I've been using my Y580 for a little more than a year now and I absolutely loved it. Recently though, my graphics card has completely dissappeared. This happened after playing an hour or so of Titanfall (which ran really well) and attempting to update my nvidia drivers. I was not able to update the installation using both Geforce Experience and manually. While downloading manually, I noticed that their website was not able to detect my graphics card. I then checked the device manager and all I could see was the Intel card. Later on, the Nvidia control panel was also unable to detect the card. 

I decided to uninstall all my drivers and start again with the one on the Lenovo driver page. I was able to successfully download the driver and it made the 660 appear in the device manager. This did not solve my troubles because when I tried to play a game, the 660 dissapeared again. I then looked through the BIOS and I was also unable to find the card. Frustrated, I did a system restore to before I first downloaded the driver. Once again, the 660M briefly appeared again but dissapeared when I tried to game or update it.

I was just wondering if this is a software or hardware problem? Is there anyway I can fix it without sending it in for repairs (I'm not sure if I'm still under warranty anymore)?

Thanks

Guru
Views: 3,601
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y580 GTX 660M no longer detected?

It happens from time to time with my Y580. The way I fix it is that I turn it off in BIOS (switch to UMA graphics from Switchable graphics), let it run for a day only witn Intel GPU, then switch it back on in BIOS. Works 9/10 in my case, but rest assured, it will happen again.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
ghost277
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,581
Message 3 of 8

Hi thanks for the reply. Unfortunately your method did not work for me. I'll try it again though because maybe I was just unlucky.

I also read that uninstalling my Lenovo energy management could help. I'll attempt that as well if sergioosh's solution does not work and I'll report back soon.
ghost277
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,564
Message 4 of 8

Uninstalling the energy management program did not work. I did discover something though. Now when I go to my device manager, I see an unknown "Display" under "other devices". Could this be my 660M?
Guru
Views: 3,544
Message 5 of 8

Yup, that's your GPU. I've seen many people report problems with this GPU including me. From my experience it means it is dying and there's not a lot you can do. In my case it still works when I do it the way I described, but I decided to give up. I turned off the Nvidia GPU in BIOS and I'm buying a desktop Smiley Tongue

ghost277
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,538
Message 6 of 8

That's unfortunate. Thanks for the help though!
ghost277
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,222
Message 7 of 8

Sorry for the bump but I think I've actually fixed my problem. I decided to give this computer a try again because I wanted to game while I traveled. This time, I went to the BIOS, switched it to UMA graphics (not sure if this is important), then selected something like "revert to default settings" or something like that.
Another thing that I did that I'm not sure actually helped with my problem was: Deleting and re-installing the graphics drivers from both Lenovo and Nvidia.

Hope this helps anyone else that may have or will have this problem!
Guru
Views: 3,196
Message 8 of 8

This is just a temporary fix. Once it started acting up, it's gonna do it again at some point. Then again, and again...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors