cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
illegalBeagle
What's DOS?
Views: 202
Message 1 of 6

Y580 - How to reinstall factory windows on new drive?

I've had a drive failure on my nearly 3-year old Y580. I've purchased a new SSD to replace the old magnetic drive, how do I go about reinstalling and activating Windows? I did not get a DVD with windows with the laptop when I bought it brand new.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 191
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to reinstall factory windows on new drive?

@illegalBeagle wrote:

I've had a drive failure on my nearly 3-year old Y580. I've purchased a new SSD to replace the old magnetic drive, how do I go about reinstalling and activating Windows? I did not get a DVD with windows with the laptop when I bought it brand new.

Does your unit comes with the OKR disc sets? If yes, use it to install the licensed copy of the OS. Refer to the user guide or hardware maintenance manual. You can download them from Lenovo's site.

illegalBeagle
What's DOS?
Views: 182
Message 3 of 6

No discs came with the laptop. I believe there was a separate partion on the hard drive for recovery, but that drive is toast and now gone.

licht
Punch Card
Views: 170
Message 4 of 6

I can tell you, you screw up. don't buy the recovery discs from lenovo. you can't get activate the windows 8 that installed by their discs. When you say your hard disk failed, is the the hardware failed? or it just can't boot? If the harddisk can run and can be see from other system (through USB). then you can backup the disk out by some harddisk utility.

Highlighted
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 150
Message 5 of 6

@illegalBeagle wrote:

No discs came with the laptop. I believe there was a separate partion on the hard drive for recovery, but that drive is toast and now gone.

That folder contain the drivers for the unit which you can also download from Lenovo's site. Your options:

1. OKR disc sets which you may be able to secure by calling them. This is the only option I can think of to restore to factory.

If you don;t want to restore to factory then just download a copy of the correct version of OS that is originally installed. Your product key is in the bios whcih will be detected during installation. After the OS installation install one by one the drivers.

illegalBeagle
What's DOS?
Views: 146
Message 6 of 6

This seems like a viable option. After entering the serial number of my laptop in the support section, I see no information on exactly what version of Win 8 was installed. I'll try calling them. Thanks for help all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors