Bulgaria

18 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 1 of 5

Y580: Intel VS nVidia HDMI output

2013-02-13, 6:23 AM

Hi,

I have the IdeaPad Y580 and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to connect my TV via HDMI by using the nVidia GPU instead of the Intel (weaker) one. Although the programs themeselves are processed by the nVidia GPU, and they appear fine on the built-in monitor, lag occurs on the clone display TV due to the weak performance of the Intel graphic card. Nowhere in the description of Y580 did I find that the laptop can be connected to a TV via HDMI just through the Intel GPU. This so called "technology" with the two graphic cards ruins the overall performance of the laptop. I cannot select to use just the nVidia GPU for the HDMI output even if I want to.

If this is so, and there is no fix, I will call my local vendor and ask for a full refund of the product. Experiencing poor performance on an external monitor with a machine which costs so much is just ridiculous. What is the purpose of having a powerful GPU when I can only use it on the built-in laptop display? This is not acceptable.

Edit: if I understand correctly, I can use the nVidia GPU for output on an external display only via the VGA port. This is not even a digital connector. What is the point in having a full HD capable laptop and a full HD 3D TV/clone monitor if their capabilties cannot be used to their full extend? I do not believe I can run a blue-ray 3D movie on the laptop and play in on the external monitor (a 3D full HD TV) via VGA, and I do not even want to start on the display performance for the newest games on the market.

Please advise.

Best regards,

E. Tsanov

Options

44 Posts

01-02-2012

Ukrain

227 Signins

1169 Page Views

• Views: 1169
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Y580: Intel VS nVidia HDMI output

2013-02-13, 17:24 PM
The same problem on my y570! Can't use fully nVidia GPU performances that is 3D Vision and so on because has primary Intel HD GPU! When I take this laptop no one documentation says about this vary big minus! If some one tell me about this 1,5 year ago then I'll never take this laptop! Lenovo tell me about this very big minus 2 weeks ago it's so bad for me because I wont return this laptop and get back my money!
Options

20 Posts

02-19-2013

Malaysia

58 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-07-12, 6:03 AM

Bump.

I also have this question. Planning to buy Dell U2312HM for my Y580's external monitor but is it true that I can only use VGA output to use the Nvidia GPU on external monitors ? If yes, I'm not going to buy one, then.

Or can this problem solved by selecting my Nvidia GPU as the "global preference" in "Nvidia Control Panel" ?

Options

20 Posts

02-19-2013

Malaysia

58 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-07-13, 18:37 PM

My friend tried using external monitor using HDMI and it works like a charm for The Witcher 2, which is impossible can be achieved only using Intel HD 4000. Perhaps when you're plugging it your adapter is not plugged in ? So the notebook sets itself on low perfomance setting ? Have you tried running it with nvidia gpu as default ?

Options

1 Posts

06-30-2015

United States

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 5

2015-06-30, 4:00 AM

Hello,

I have ideapad Y580 , has been using this for 3 years. I love it . Recently 750GB internal hard drive crashed. I replaced it with an ssd card 250gb. I have Nvidea GTX 660m. RAM was 6GB , increased to 12GB RAM. Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 3610QM, CPU @2.30 GHz Im planning to play the latest games properly with good graphics performance. Will i be able to attach external graphics card externally ? If yes, how can I do it? 

Thank You

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete