cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisARettig
Paper Tape
Views: 1,066
Message 1 of 4

Y580, Multiple issues (cannot boot Windows), having trouble finding a solution.

Hello everyone, I'm very stuck with my Y580, and while I'm convinced that my problems are caused by my own doing, I'm really hoping there's a fix.

I'll start by saying that I purchased the laptop about 1.5 years ago, and it came with Windows 8 installed. I didn't like Windows 8 so much, so I decided that I would get Win7. I also decided that I'd put it on an mSATA to speed things up. After doing so, I just formatted the boot partition on the older drive to use for storage. But I kept the recovery partition on there. Everything seemed to work fine until I was recently informed that I should update the BIOS. I followed all of the instructions from Lenovo in updating to the version 8.00, something like 89WW in the file name. Then recently I noticed my temps were realllly hot when gaming... and I don't play graphically demanding games. I monitored my temps and found out that my CPU (i73630QM) was running over 90°c when playing games like LoL, Dishonored, RIFT, Darksiders, and a few others, all on lower settings.

I did some googling about temps and a lot of people were saying that BIOS is often a culprit for high temps. Maybe you've already put two and two together, but it took me until this point to discover that the BIOS I had updated to is a Win8 BIOS, and I'm using Win7. I figured, this is probably a big part of my issue (and even if it's not going to solve the heat issue, I'd still like to have all my ducks in a row and have all my hardware/software/firmware compatible.

As we all very well know from the few years of tampering with these Y580s, the BIOS can't simply just be rolled back. But I figured there had to be a way. After googling around for some time, I ended up trying a few different things; editing the Config file for the earlier version of the Bios (which just resulted in another error and locked up the keyboard and mouse), I tried booting the BIOS image from a USB, but to no avail (I tried both booting from USB and also a force BIOS update, using the fn+B method, which I realize I may be doing incorrectly, as I am not entirely sure what I should name the ROM file... I can't boot windows to use ANDYSTOOL, so I named a bunch of different ROM files with different names that have worked for other people) ... so on and so forth... the last thing I've tried was Restoring the BIOS to factory settings (within the BIOS) and now the computer will not boot windows. The Lenovo screen Posts, and Windows starts to load, freezes a moment, Blue Screens for a second, then reboots, saying that there is an issue with either Hardware or software, and gives me he option to either boot windows normally (which just results in the same thing again) or to run an automatic repair. I tried the automatic repair and it just sits on the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, and will do so for hours with no progress.

I'm not usually terrible with computers, but I'm terribly lost with this issue, so any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.
ChrisARettig
Paper Tape
Views: 1,064
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y580, Multiple issues (cannot boot Windows), having trouble finding a solution.

I should also note that anything to do with OKR is not working. I get an error message saying that the OKR partition is damaged, and it will not launch the main application.
killlerman
Core Memory
Views: 1,051
Message 3 of 4

Re: Y580, Multiple issues (cannot boot Windows), having trouble finding a solution.

Hey ChrisARettig,

Temps could be related to dust in the cooler/fan and maybe a need of repasting the CPU and GPU heat sinks. From what you wrote i understand that you can access your bios settings and so go to the Configuration menu then check if SATA Controller Mode is set to AHCI, if not - change it and try to boot into windows.

Regards,

Ilian

Y50-70 - i7 4710HQ | GTX860M 4GB @1300Mhz | 16 GB RAM
Y580 - i7 3630QM | GTX660M@1200Mhz || Y570 - i7 2670QM | GT555M
Highlighted
ChrisARettig
Paper Tape
Views: 1,003
Message 4 of 4

Thanks so much for your help!

It seems that my SATA controller was set wrong, and it actually needed to be set to Compatible. I bet when I restored the bios, it was set to AHCI. So windows boots again, which is wonderful.

I'm still running Win7 on this Win8 BIOS, though. Is this problematic? And are there any ways to possibly rollback the BIOS that I haven't tried yet?

Also, I will pop the computer open and check dust/ Thermal paste.

Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors