Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,721
Message 1 of 29

Y580 Overheat at 90 degrees

I'm posting on here after reading many a comment on this issue.  My I have the y580 i7 nVidia 660m 8 g ram system and I can't play games in direct 10/11.  I can play in direct x 9 for the moment it seems.  For the most part when i play Civ 5 in direct 11 it crashes in under 5 mins precisely when the gpu reaches 91 degrees every time.  I'm monitoring the temps with MSI afterburner (not overclocking).  The temp just climps and then bing... shut down.  It use to go higher and run there, but now it seems to shut down there everytime.  Crysis 1 shuts down too a few mins in.  This machine is very frustrating.  Hopefully I can get it to work again.  I WILL NEVER BUY ONE OF THESE AGAIN... ever.  And I do buy computers often.  I will not recommend it to anyone.  In fact I will make sure other people buy different machines.  I don't want to take the thing apart to reapply thermal paste and thus void the warranty.  And I don't want to have it sent away for months on end to have it re-imaged.  This is horse**bleep**.  I can't wait till PS4 or XBox 720 comes out. 

FOBRocker
Punch Card
Views: 2,712
Message 2 of 29

Re: Y580 Overheat at 90 degrees

That's not right at all! My new Y580 runs Crysis 3 with this:

CPU 70 degrees Celsius, 60% usage

GPU 70 degrees, 800MB, 80% usage

HDD (1TB) 61 degrees. 

Your laptop definitely has a fault...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-2013 ThinkPad R61i - Core 2 Duo T5450 | 2GB DDR2 | 160GB HD | 15.4" | Legendary build | 5 years and running
2013-now IdeaPad Y580 - 15.6" FHD 1080p | i7 3630QM | GTX660M 2GB GDDR5 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | 1TB | Flimsy plastic
mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,676
Message 3 of 29

How long have you had yours for?  I've had mine since August.  It did run games fine.  And it has ran the Directx 11 games well before.  It seems like now though it's really given up the Ghost.  There is a guy in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-problem-with-GPU/td-p/927999/page/3

Who seems to have fixed his machine by putting in a different thermal contact.  He says the paste disintegrates/migrates over time (especially for those who move their laptop a lot (which is me)) and that this contact seems to work well.

I'm crashing with all variances of the nVidia drivers, with the new BIOS update, with a cooling pad.  It just seems to get too hot.  Has anyone else tried cracking open their y580 to fix this.  Is there a manual available?  Every story I've read on here about sending it to Lenovo seems like a nightmare.  They ignore any trouble shooting you do, re-image your drive to defaults, or do nothing and in the process keep it for months.  That is insanity.

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,670
Message 4 of 29

I should add that I also played Borderlands 2 maxed out and it runs fine at 75 to 80 degrees.  But this is a directx 9 game.  Right after running BL2 I played Civ 5 in DX11 and sure enough it failed after 5 mins.  Here is my error by the way:

FGXRenderer11 : : Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure.

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,628
Message 5 of 29

Cant play games in y580 overheats

Can't play games in Directx11.  GPU overheats and crashes around 90 degrees.  I've had a y580, 8 gig, 1080p, 660M for about 8 months and it's given up.  Anyone else have a y580 crashing on them.  Game screen basically shatters like glass then goes black.  It's a BSOD. THen I have to task manager out.  In DriectX9.  Games work just fine.  I guess it doesn't get hot enough... only about 75 degrees.?

Moderator Note; subject edited; threads merged.

Former Employee
Views: 2,604
Message 6 of 29

Re: Cant play games in y580 overheats

Hi mikepilot,

Thanks for posting your concerns, you may want to consider updating your BIOS. If your currently running on win7, there was BIOS created that addressed issue similar to yours. The BIOS can be downloaded from the Link below,

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5dcn40ww.exe

More details of the BIOS can also be found in the link below.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029084

Hope this helps.

Regards
mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,593
Message 7 of 29

Thank you.  I already did that.  In fact, I really started noticing the problem after I updated the BIOS.  I don't think it's the BIOS update that has caused anything because the problem has grown in severity.  What would happen is during a game of CIV 5 DX11 I would get this hash or static a lot like an old TV channel that you had to tune in Analog style with bunny ears.   So the hash would come... and then it would go.  This was  befor ethe update.  Occasionaly it would crash CIV5.  Now the hash comes on quick and crashes the game hard.  So I tried other DirectX games... and it crashes hard at about 89 degrees.

Directx9 Civ 5 you can play all day.  ANd Borderlands 2 as well whihc is DX9.  The best state I can get this computer now is with the GPU drivers from Lenovo.  With those the card runs at 1900 MHZ if you can believe that in Civ5 DX11.  So that's crazy, the card downclocks all on its own a lot.  Other drivers dont do this actually.   Anyway, it still crashes, just takes a little longer.  It's frustrating to see someone running Crysis 3 when I can't run Crysis 1.  I also use the video for work so now the computer is becoming unusable and I can't sent it away for a month to have it returned re-imaged.

I'm starting to think that the thermal paste on the GPU/CPU is gone as noted by another fellow in another thread.  It just takes a matter of time for it to go.  Everyone out there with a y580 will probably go through this.  So if yours is new... just wait.  It'll happen.  BUT maybe I'm wrong... maybe someone knows what's going on here? 

Incidentally I've installed so many nVidia drivers it's not funny.  I've probably changed through them 20 or 30 times.  I don't use a driver sweeper... I just use clean install.  I always run with Lenovo Dynamics Graphics which is full throttle I guess.

Former Employee
Views: 2,548
Message 8 of 29

Hi mikepilot233,

Thanks for posting back. Based what you've posted does ound more likely of a H/W as compared to software. I was just wondering does this happen when the machine is connected to AC or whith battery only?

Regards
mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,516
Message 9 of 29

Yes I agree it's hardware.  So I got lucky and decided to search Lenovo website for who does their maintenance.  And the place was just down the street.   I was able to call them and drive it over 10 minutes later.  The guy pulled it apart and has ordered a new fan heatsink.  I believe he said the thermal paste wasn't making a good contact either.  So hopefully he gets er all put back together.  The parts haven't come in yet.  He said they may be in next day... but it's been 2 business days so far.  Hopefully they come in early this coming week and he gets it all back together.  Then I will test it out and report back here.  I THINK I WILL most certainly be buying a 3 year extended warranty.  Luckily this is covered.  I have a feeling it may be happening again. 

I'm curious if this problem is widespread enough that perhaps Lenovo should consider some pro-active solution.  There are guys on this forum that have solved their problems on thier own with after-market thermal contact devices.  One guy in particular didn't use a paste at all and has good success.  Perhaps something on the order of a recall should be put into effect.   I don't know.  I just don't want it happening again and again.

When i tried taking it apart, I couldn't get the keyboard off and didn't want to void the warranty.  Basically i didn't want to break the **bleep** thing.  Anyway, wish me luck and lets hope it gets fixed... and fast.  The guy working on it seems knowledgeable.

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 2,515
Message 10 of 29

Also, I always use it plugged in.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors