Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 3 (4,047 Views)

Y580 PowerDVD 10 Update Won't Install "Not a Lenovo Computer"

I was trying to watch a DVD on my laptop and kept receiving an error from PowerDVD 10, saying that it was an invalid media type. After looking online, I noticed that some people said that the update might fix this. So, I downloaded the update and ran the installer. It required that I remove the current installed version of PowerDVD in order to install the patch. After the installer wiped that from my computer and began to install the patch, I received a message stating that "This software can only be installed on a Lenovo system." This was a patch file that the program sent me to, called "PowerDVD_v5630_RiTA10(Lenovo)(PDVDServDelayStartup)_DVD130802-14.exe"

After looking at this, I went through the knowledge base and found that there is another file linked for updating the PowerDvd software called "Lenovo.Lenovo_RiTA10_v_DVD110707-07.exe". When I tried to run this I get the following error:

"Cannot install the patch.

Either this patch is not intended for your version of PowerDVD 10

or your system does not have

a previous version of PowerDVD 10 installed.

The patch installation will abort."

Of course I don't have any previous version of PowerDVD 10 installed, because the other patch uninstalled it in order to install. Now I am stuck without the DVD software in this terrible Windows 8 environment. I even tried VLC player and the video is cut off. This is very frustrating. This is on my IdeaPad Y580. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 3 (3,861 Views)

Re: Y580 PowerDVD 10 Update Won't Install "Not a Lenovo Computer"

Since no one is of help it seems at technical support and I finally had some time for this, I was able to track down how to solve this. I used downloaded the installer for PowerDVD 10 from lenovo and then had to hack it.

First run the installer (IN12STW153WW5.exe).

After the installer fails, it will have dumped the files into C:\drivers\PowerDVD 10 BD\ (or replace C: with system drive I suppose).

Edit the file Custom.ini (right click -> Edit)

Change the line CLScan=LEGEND Dragon to CLScan=lenovo

Save the file.

Run setup.exe

You can also skip running the installer and instead use a program like 7zip (or another compression program) to unzip the IN12STW153WW5.exe contents into a folder. Then go into the folder you extracted to and modify the file inside there.

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 3 (526 Views)

Re: Y580 PowerDVD 10 Update Won't Install "Not a Lenovo Computer"

wow thank you so much for this just what i needed, this worked for me and i am running latest windows 10 build on lenovo g50-45

Top kudoed Authors