cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billr
What's DOS?
Views: 501
Message 1 of 1

Y580 Recovery help needed. Original hard drive intact, mSATA formatted.

I have found a million how to install mSATA articles, but I can't find any on recovery.

Please let me know if I'm just out of luck, this is what I did (geez I feel stupid).

1.) Purchased Y580 last year, made recovery disks immediately when I got it out of box.

2.) Have been using Y580 for past 12-14 months and last week or so it's been locking up.  Hard drive activity seems like it stops (mouse moves, all programs lock up trying to read/write).

3.) Purchased new hard drive and 2.5" sata USB enclosure.

4.) Removed Y580 original hard drive with all my files on it and put it in SATA enclosure.  

5.) Installed new hard drive into Y580 and started doing Recovery / Restore to defaults with Recovery Disks.

6.) Plugged USB SATA enclosure into computer #2 to back up files.   partitions are all whack!!  Can't read files except for the 30GB partition with drivers on it. 

7.) Plugged original hard drive back into Laptop.  Windows Blue screened at boot.  Ran boot repair and windows 'fixed registry'  It still looks like a factory restored computer!  Only original files everywhere.  With my 1TB drive displaying 90% free disk space.  What?!  Where did my files go?

So in essence, I think that the MSATA drive in the Y580 contained special sauce to read contents from the actual hard drive.  Because I "restored" the mSATA + new hard drive",  it no longer has the partition information to get files from the old drive.

Am I just out of luck without the use of RAW file recovery?  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  I'm essentially stuck with a mSATA drive in the same state it was last year, and a hard drive with a years worth of content I can't access from another PC or the laptop.  I see "Healthy" partition when plugged into another PC, but it keeps asking me to convert to dynamic disk (which I am worried about doing).

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Bill

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors