Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krakeusz
What's DOS?
Views: 1,451
Message 1 of 5

[Y580] VT-x BIOS change does not apply

Hello everyone,

I have a Lenovo Y580 laptop and I can't turn on the Intel Virtualization Technology in BIOS. I see the proper option for VT-x, which was disabled, and enabled it. But after a restart, when I enter the BIOS again, it is still disabled...

Of course, I saved the change in BIOS before exiting. I want to virtualize a 64-bit system with VirtualBox, and it shows me the message that VT-x is still disabled.

I have the latest BIOS available, that is: 5DCN40WW (v. 2.07). I configure BIOS via InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 3.7. The only changes I have made to BIOS/booting is that I dual boot into Windows 8 / Kubuntu 13.10. I use UEFI and have Secure Boot turned off (that also is a change by myself).

Does anyone have any idea, what the reason for that may be?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,432
Message 2 of 5

Re: [Y580] VT-x BIOS change does not apply

Hello and welcome,

After enabling and saving BIOS settings, did you do a full power-off, power-on restart?  That's usually necessary for the change to be visible to the OS - not sure about BIOS visibility.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

krakeusz
What's DOS?
Views: 1,421
Message 3 of 5

Yes. When I exit the BIOS, it powers off the machine. By 'restart' I mean exiting BIOS and turning on the machine again.

krakeusz
What's DOS?
Views: 1,417
Message 4 of 5

I did some more trial and error. And it seems that VT-x isn't the only setting that behaves that way. When I make changes to, for example, Power Beep and Wireless LAN Support, the changes also reset after power off. What's strange, when I set some settings and exit BIOS, it powers off my machine, and with some settings exiting BIOS continues the boot process.

But there is a setting that I can change properly. That is the System Date. So it's not a problem that no setting can be changed.

I also tried saving the changes (without exiting) and then exiting. After saving such a change without exit, the settings are properly changed. But on exit, some of them get reset as always.

dphilguy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,367
Message 5 of 5

Hello, I am having the exact same problem on my Y580. I try to change the intel virtual technology setting but it stays disabled. Could anyone find a solution?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors