cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattezell
Token Ring
Views: 17,349
Message 1 of 5

Y580 Wifi Problems - Frequently drops to 'limited - No Internet'. Disconnect and reconnect restores

Ok, Lenovo - This is getting ridiculous!

The more I use this laptop, the more things go wrong, the more I Google and see people with the same or very similar issues without resolutions... You're company is doomed with quality like this - do you even have a QA team?

So, not on to the newest problem identified with brand freaking new Y580... *sigh*

Periodically, and with seeming increasing frequency, my wifi connection drops to 'limited - no internet'... I am using the same router that I have always used with all of my laptops and other network capable devices - none of which are or have ever experienced this problem... I am a programmer by trade and a technophile by passion - not a novice in the world of technology.

I can get Internet communications back by disconnecting from the network and then immediately reconnecting.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers as well as trying an alternate channel and also using Intel issued official drivers - all with the same result...

Does anyone out there have experience with this specific issue and have a specific resolution...  For what it is worth, I am using a 'N' capable Rosewill router running DD-WRT...  I have a Macbook Pro, an Eee PC, a HP Elitebook, a Compaq Presario, 2 HP touchpads, a Nexus 7, 2 Droid Razr Maxx, a PS3, Wii and Xbox 360... All are connected without issue and without experiencing this problem.. I feel safe in saying that it is unique to this "quality" Y580..

As it currently stands, as much as I *want* to like this laptop, I am really regretting the decision to give Lenovo another shake - feel like it was foolish to give the company another chance - as it has thus far proven to be a really, really bad idea from my experiences in the 3 days that I have had this laptop..  

If I cannot get satisfactory resolution to each and every one of the problems that I am reporting on this board and support in the next day or so, I will be returning this laptop for a full refund as the unit will be deemed as defective (and if given problems when returning, I will be researching my legal options... It is not acceptable to provide the horrible support and quality of product that Lenovo has clearly been provided as has been seen on this forum for years).

-Matt

Moderator comment: Veiled profanity removed. Repeat will result in post removal. Keep it clean.

mattezell
Token Ring
Views: 17,267
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y580 Wifi Problems - Frequently drops to 'limited - No Internet'. Disconnect and reconnect resto

For anyone who randomly finds this thread from trying to fix the same symptoms as I have described, I wanted to provide an update...

I went to Intel's site and ran the auto-check (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless) , which lead me to these drivers...

Product DetectedIntel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200
Current Driver Installed15.5.2.0
Newer Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Available:15.5.6
Download Now
File Size:79 MB
Detailed Connection Utility Description & Documentation

I simply ran the installer and I have not experienced the issue again since... I've now been connected to my router for ~22 hours without issue - where I was experiencing it about ~30mins...

A little backstory... I am using a Rosewill RNX-N300RT R  with DD-WRT installed...  Had no issues with any other devices (listed in my previous post) - only the Nexus and the Y580 being connected via 'N' as far as I know...  As stated, the Nexus didn't experience this issue and I assume it has something to do with the NIC or software used in the Y580..  Once I upgraded using the above process, I have experienced no issues...

<soapbox>I should not have to apply my technical expertise to fixing my brand new laptop.. It should just work out of the box as most all of my other devices have... If Lenovo is going to force Windows 8 (which I do actually like surprisingly - being a power user, .NET developer by trade and Linux junkie by passion...), they may should have their QA lab spend a bit more time testing...  Just my 2 cents (worth about 1.25 cents at the current exchange rate)</soapbox>

<sidenote>Some of the mods are particularly sensitive... I was accused of trying to fool the curse detection by using symbols such as #, @, & instead of cuss words (instead, I was trying to keep my post clean - I was not aware of their auto clean-up system and so was not trying to cheat it)... If you want to express your aggravation like a grown up, just use the cuss word and apparently their system will replace it with ***bleep*** or some such nonsense.... Apparently this is preferred over you attempting to censor yourself...</sidenote>

reohatake
What's DOS?
Views: 15,812
Message 3 of 5

Re: Y580 Wifi Problems - Frequently drops to 'limited - No Internet'. Disconnect and reconnect resto

For people this didn't work for. It got me halfway there I was working on an Intel Centrino N-2200. The only WiFi device that was having issues. After ensuring I had the latest driver from Intel, using their Auto Driver detection software, I changed the wireless mode to 802.11g, enabled Wireless N, and lowered the broadcast strength, but then I had to get into the router. I change the broadcasting mode from 802.11abg to 802.11 g and the frequency from 20/40 to 20 only, I left the rest of my settings default. This fixed my problem. I have had no issues since. I hope this helps people. 

sshah
What's DOS?
Views: 15,292
Message 4 of 5

Thanks,
I f you are Using WINDOWS 7 like me.. go to that link of Intel to autodetect the driver and it recommended me the latest driver for my y580 and after all the various tries.. this method helped me. Thanks again

emrose2
What's DOS?
Views: 13,892
Message 5 of 5

how did you enable wireless N? ive just updated my driver using intels website.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors