Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigTerminator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,398
Message 1 of 12

Y580 Won't Boot on Battery

As many of you know the battery guage reset bricks these laptops. I did it and now my Y580 will not boot with battery power alone. The battery charges and works, but if I boot straight from the battery without AC plugged in, the laptop will turn on for a moment then shut off. I tried removing the battery, holding the power button, etc. Even reset the BIOS to defaults. Does anyone have a fix other than replacing the laptop? My warranty is out. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,359
Message 2 of 12

Re: Y580 Won't Boot on Battery

Hi  Bigterminator

Welcome to Lenovo Community!        

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with the system not powering on only with the battery.

Please try to reinstall the energy management driver and check for the issue.

Click here for the drivers please select according the operating system Microsoft ACPI setting and restart the machine. Repeat this step once more and shutdown the system and check for the issue.

Hope this helps! Do post us back for further queries. 

Best regards,

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

BigTerminator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,349
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for responding.

This is not a software issue. I have reinstalled the battery drivers, lenovo energy managment, I have done a complete reinstallation of windows. The issue is exactly the same after all the steps I have taken including a BIOS reset to defaults. 

I will tell you things I have noticed. 

FIrst, the computer will restart on battery power. Meaning once I inititially boot with AC, I can restart the computer purely on battery power. It however will not recover from sleep or hibernation at all.  

Second, everytime the computer shuts off, even on AC power it will not boot through the first time. On AC power it will try to boot and fail, the same way it does on battery, however after the first failed attempt it will then proceed to boot again on its own without pressing power and then be successful. WIth battery no matter how many times you try it will not boot up. 

To me it seems like your battery guage reset program fried something in the motherboard. I have tried the reset twice and still the same symptoms. I do not want to waste money on a new battery when it seems like the battery works perfectly. Even on AC power it fails to boot the first time so that shows me that the motherboard is struggling to boot. Maybe a fried CMOS battery. 

Please any suggestions?

Former Administrator
Views: 1,341
Message 4 of 12

Please see my reply via PM.

Thanks

Mark

Michael1969
Punch Card
Views: 1,313
Message 5 of 12

I got the same here, or, to be honest, I just realized that I got the same here. I believed that my Y580 got something wrong with the HDD but now I see that the symptoms are pretty close to those described by the TS.

I ran the gauge reset program once, it did not seem to cause any damage. I had to run it because my battery icon read "plugged in, not charging" so I decided to run the program.

However yesterday my laptop failed to wake up after hibernation. The first attempt was made on battery, later I connected the power cable but no success. Keyboard light turns on but the screen remains dark, no alarm beeps, laptop reacts to pressing NumLock and CapsLock keys by turning the LEDs on.

The idea that CMOS has been damaged looks very reasonable to me because when I took the HDD out, I failed to recover anything because C: partition is no longer available. D: (Lenovo) is available, Computer Management - Disk Management  (sorry guys I can be wrong with the titles because I have to backtranslate them from Russian) shows three partitions on the HDD: Lenovo partition is active, C partition is labeled OEM partition like the other partition with factory defaults recovery data probably.

Guys, is there any solution known to you? 

mwade
Punch Card
Views: 1,278
Message 6 of 12

I have extactly the same problem. Did you resolve this, if yes, how?

BigTerminator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,263
Message 7 of 12

I have my laptop sent in for repairs. The motherboard is fried some how. No software tweaks are going to fix it. Try to get it repaired. 

dave1996
Fanfold Paper
Views: 829
Message 8 of 12

I am so pissed off, I just put an SSD in my Y580, installed win10. It was working great, then I installed the energy management software  for WIN 8.1, and ran the gauge reset. After that I couldn't reopen the laptop. Now it works but the battery sudently stopped being charged even though the charger is delivering its output, what a shame!

dave1996
Fanfold Paper
Views: 807
Message 9 of 12

Check this geniuses post, it solved the issue for me and obviously for many others as well:https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Solution-for-laptop-cannot-detect-AC-adapter-af...
Roland_HUN
Paper Tape
Views: 490
Message 10 of 12

I have extactly the same problem. Did you resolve this, if yes, how?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors