Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 32 (22,374 Views)

Y580 doesn't charge and doesn't detect the charger

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if a similar question has already been posted here, but I couldn't find it myself. I'm having really weird problems with my brand new Y580. It doesn't detect the charger, and because of this - won't charge. I managed to figure out how to temporarily fix the problem, but it keeps on happening. Long story short:

What's wrong: (after applying a temporary fix and the laptop IS charging) when I unplug the charger and plug it back in again, the laptop doesn't detect it (it keeps on draining the battery and does't prompt that a charger is connected). The same happens when I close the lid and open it again - the charger magically disconnects itself.

My temporary fix: I somehow managed to get the laptop working when connected to the charger after applying these steps:

1. OS shut down
  2. battery removed
  3. charger unplugged
  4. pressed power button once (just for a second)
  5. charger plugged to a different wall socket
  6. charger plugged to the laptop
  7. power button pressed once (laptop boots up)
  8. when the OS loads up, battery inserted again

As I mentioned, this fixes my problem only temporarily as I can't close the lid or unplug the charger without repeating the same procedure. I'm pretty sure the same thing happens when I simply switch the laptop off from the OS level.

I'm using Windows 8 now but the same thing happended when I was on Windows 7.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I appreciate your help and advice.

Piotr

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 2 of 32 (22,277 Views)

Re: Y580 doesn't charge and doesn't detect the charger

Hi again,

I checked the charger again and it seems that it's not working when I unplug it a plug it back in. If I get the charger working and close/open the lid or restart the machine, it is still working fine. Any ideas why unplugging and re-plugging the charger makes it unavailable for the laptop?

Piotr

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 32 (22,268 Views)

Hey,

My problem is exactly as you explained. This is on my brand new Y500.
Punch Card
Message 4 of 32 (22,246 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi sitsuj,

I'm having a bit similar problem with my y570, however, my problem only persists while the power management is on best battery health mode. In order to recognize the charger, I have to unplug the charger from my laptop, change power management to optimize for battery runtime mode, replug the charger to the wall socked, plug the charger to the laptop again, then the laptop recognizes plugged in charger.

My problem started when I was resetting battery gauge (probably an error occured) about a week ago. I'm still trying to fix it, and I think the problem source is the BIOS since restoring the laptop to factory default doesn't fix it.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 5 of 32 (22,227 Views)

Thanks for your replies, guys. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm resetting the battery now using the Power Management tool provided by Lenovo (this will be the second time) but it's stuck at 99% and still charging. Not sure if it's going to finish tonight, but will definitely let you know.

Regards,

Piotr

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 32 (22,183 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, here's a quick update. I'm afraid I won't be of much help from now on as I just returned from the store where I bought my Y580. I got a full refund with not problems at all, and to be honest with you guys, I wouldn't recommend replacing/repairing the laptop. It's just easier this way.

Anyway, I wish you more luck with your laptops than I had with mine.

Best regards,

Piotr

Serial Port
Message 7 of 32 (21,832 Views)

Yes, I too have the same problem as described here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-Y580-Power-Problem/td-p/978409.

The only fix I have is to remove the battery, shut down the computer, unplug the AC adapter from the wall, then power up again with the AC adapter plugged in.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem!

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 32 (21,737 Views)

Hi,

Does anyone else have this same problem or know the way to fix it?

Exact same thing happened to me, after performing a batter reset the system no longer recognizes the charger being plugged in. 

Returning this to the store would be really difficult for me as I bought it in a different country

AR

Serial Port
Message 9 of 32 (21,496 Views)

The problem is with the motherboard; you need to contact tech support and get it repaired.  There is no software fix, its a hardware problem.

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 32 (21,056 Views)

I too have the same issue and this is a 1.5 month old y580 laptop.
Top Kudoed Authors