Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romeactual
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,097
Message 1 of 5

Y580 dual SSD's? keep hdd?

Hi, I have in the mail now a m4 256GB MSATA drive. I plan on retrograding to Win 7 professional from 8. I cannot figure out my best options. Of course I want to install Win 7 on the msata but my question lies in weather or not I should keep the 1000gb hdd installed.

I have a 128GB SSD in a 2.5" enclosure. I use it for quick transfers,  its usb 3.0. So my thought process was to just put the 1000gb hdd that's in my Y580 now into the enclosure and put the 128gb SSD into the Y580.

Would there be a benefit? I'm not sure exactly how installing programs onto another drive would effect functionality/performance. I basically plan on having everything installed on the 256gb drive but just incase I want more games or something they could go onto the 128GB drive, or maybe even only install programs on one and games on the other..I don't carry lots of movies so space is not a factor.

I'm not concerned about size just strictly performance. Thanks

msahni
Serial Port
Views: 1,083
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y580 dual SSD's? keep hdd?

To get cool performance you could put the pagefily.sys, and temp, tmp folders to the second disk. That way your programs load off one disk and the temporary work is on the second disk. Would be zippy...

Second option would be to make a software raid between the 128Gb SSD and a 128Gb partition of mSATA. Transfer all your stuff there... Would be interesting to get results once you try them....

Cheers

Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
romeactual
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,058
Message 3 of 5

YesRe: Y580 dual SSD's? keep hdd?

Thanks for the reply. Ive heard of putting the temp and page files onto the second disc. But there wouldn't be a point if each disc was an SSD right?. 

I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of raid would be for two ssd's. I googled RAID and I'm still having trouble understanding it.

Thanks again. I'll defintely post what I do. It seems like there is still quite a large grey area with this subject.

DarthXBlade
Serial Port
Views: 1,025
Message 4 of 5

Re: YesRe: Y580 dual SSD's? keep hdd?

this link will answer your Question

http://www.4d.com/blog/4d-ssd-watch-august-31.html

P.S the y 580 does not support raid because raid mode is locked in the bios it only supports SSD caching and  since raid mode is locked in the bios that means it does not support Intel SSD Caching only some garbage express cache software which is not as fast as intel ssd caching

romeactual
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 983
Message 5 of 5

Re: YesRe: Y580 dual SSD's? keep hdd?

Thanks for the link. However, I'm not to sure about it only supporting caching. I'm installing a Msata for the primary drive not just to be a caching drive.

Some models come configured with the caching ability however, I'm guessing that's for cost purposes. They equip them with such small msata's, 16 & 32GB.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors