Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TOBiAS02
What's DOS?
Views: 3,378
Message 1 of 16

Y580 lags when running on battery

Hi everyone,

Recently, I tested an Y580 laptop for a while, discovering performance-related issues. Later I bought another Y580, which has the same issues. I hoped they will be fixed, but aren't.

So about problems - when on pwr adapter, everything fine. But when on battery, propably the "energy management driver" doesn't know, "what to do", and underclocks all the hardware to the lowest possible clocks, causing the whole system to lag - fps drops down, sound starts to crackle, windows lags when switching. This happens nearly every second, with a second duration, then for a sexond, it's okay, but then again, and so in a cycle.

I thought it's a driver problem of switching igp and nV gpu, but as far as the whole system lags, it will be global. We can probably cross out SW, because I did a clean win7 install with only dx libs, intel igp and nV gpu drivers and msi kombustor. It still challenges these problems. I absolutely dunno what to do, only go for a refund, buy another brand's laptop (there are almost no choices!), and warn everybody not to buy a lenovo laptop.

Else, I'm looking for solution. I tried myself, I failed. I tried update drivers, reinstalls, I failed. I don't need a laptop, if it's useless on a battery. But it's not problem of "one piece", as this same does 2 of 2 I had. And i expect it
s a global problem of Y580 series. I'd like someone to try it for me. Maybe there's just a lack of drivers, but if it did just when it came from lenovo to me, and when the first model was used for PCmag's testing, there must be a problem.

If anyone know, please let me know asap, before I'll return it... Thanks. Lenovo itself thanks you.

link626
802.11n
Views: 3,354
Message 2 of 16

Re: Y580 lags when running on battery

i think it's designed not to run on full performance when using the battery. I've heard this is a limitation of the battery.

you set the power options on high performance?

have you heard of any gaming laptop that can run full performance on battery ?

Views: 3,345
Message 3 of 16

I'm not talking about lower performance, I
m talking about NO performance at all. Everything, even old games go unplayable... Sometimes it works, so gpu holds 405 MHz and everything is fine, but mostly, it starts switching 135 MHz and 405 MHz every few seconds, and lagging not just video, but sound too. This is not natural behavior.. Maybe if it went only 135 MHz all the time, which would be quite a big limit, but if it switches like /'''\_/'''\_/'''\_/'''\_/'''\_/'''\_/'''\_/'''\_ where ' is one second... That's just wrong... And crackling sound is not natural too....

I know gpu max is 950 MHz on adapter, and 405 MHz on battery, it's limited this way.. This is not the problem for me, I understand that. The reason is mostly the battery pack, which has extreme capacity for the size, so it has limited bandwidth in order to remain this capacity as long as possible. Maybe the energy management driver chip is set wrongly....

trian1993
What's DOS?
Views: 3,200
Message 4 of 16

I'm having the same problem Y580 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with GTA IV, World at War... It is 2 days old! I turn on Lenovo dinamic graphics, it runs fast, but it laggs like hell in every 5-10 sec. After I plug it in, it runs smooth at all.

trian1993
What's DOS?
Views: 3,199
Message 5 of 16

Have you experienced any of these?

Former Employee
Views: 3,133
Message 6 of 16

Hi all,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about the lag issues you're facing with your machine. After reading through your threads I checked on a few thing on the Y580 I have with me. I must admit that I've not experienced the lag that you have on theY580 I have but however One of the few things that I've found to conflict with the GPU performance is the the Mcafee. After uninstalling the Mcafee alot of the performance rose.

However based from the post here after checking further there is something I'd like you to try and see if they are any changes. Please follow the instructions below.

• Go to the CONTROL PANEL 
  • Open the Power options and select "Change Plan Settings" (See illustration below)

Capture.PNG

• A new window should have appeared displaying your power options.
  • Click on "Change advance power settings" (See illustration below)

Capture2.PNG

• Another window should appear . You will be able a dropdown option on the left. Click on the dropdown Menu and select "Lenovo Dynamic Graphics". Then Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the settings.(see illustartion below)

Untitled.png

I hope this helps. and please let me know of the results.

regards

Raptorek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,056
Message 7 of 16

I'm experiencing same issues during play of GTA IV without plugged adapter. I must to  try to set different energy profile, when I arrive at home from work. Thanks for tip, NINE.

Also I must to say. Every antivirus software with active resident shield consumes some system resources. But on Windows you SHOULD have some resident shield turned on. Did you try to turn off resident shield for some time during play instead of uninstall?

Raptorek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,946
Message 8 of 16

It looks like it's not working. :/

Jregi
What's DOS?
Views: 2,846
Message 9 of 16

Please figure out the problem. It's been killing me for weeeeeeeks. And I only got this y580 3 weeks ago. I have a solid-state as well. Plugged in to the wall, the laptop is a beast, the moment I unplug the charger it runs at 5 frames per second at best. I understand that the difference between AC and battery is different, but I dont think the difference should be at that large of a scale.

Thank you for your time

Gunslingeru
What's DOS?
Views: 2,002
Message 10 of 16

I got a solution!.  Remove the blurray drive (or if you have an 2nd HDD)  and the lagging stops.  The reason:  I read on other sites that the battery cannot handle the GPU power on battery mode when playing intensive games.  So by remove the blurray drive, there is less of a drain on the battery and the GPU doesn't lag any more.

I tried this with World of Tanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors