cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
link626
802.11n
Views: 1,890
Message 1 of 13

Y580 on battery, : Bug Report for lenovo staff - Graphics throttling while using battery

When running the Y580 on battery, the gpu is supposed to clock down to 405mhz core.

Nvidia designed the GTX660m and GT650m to run at 405mhz on battery.

However, after several minutes, the gpu throttles down from 405 to 135mhz, which is the 2D idle clock speed, and the whole computer gets extremely laggy, like it's out of memory (but it's not)

Take a look at the GPU-z monitor attached below. See how the graph looks like sawtooth after a solid block of red? It slams down to 135mhz every few seconds after initially running at 405mhz for about 1 minute.

In Power Options, my cpu is set to run at 1%, so that means I have it locked at 1200mhz while on battery.

I have the cpu set at the lowest voltage, and the gpu is running at 50% of max. This should not consume very many watts.

Lenovo staff: can you submit this bug for testing ?

If you have the Y580 for testing, you can duplicate my issue by running Heaven benchmark, or Furmark, and have gpu-z monitoring the clock speed, like I have below.

You should see the throttling after several minutes when running on battery.

I contacted Nvidia, and they said the gpu should not be behaving this way. Something might be wrong with the bios or vbios or something.

When I use Nvidia Inspector, I can force it to hold 405mhz core clock, and it appears to run OK; no crashes or anything.

It is only when I put the computer on autopilot that it throttles down to 135mhz.

I tested this on stock 295 drivers, and the new nvidia 306 driver released this week. Same throttling issue.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/13565iD6D07B40439D7F91/image-size/original?v=m...

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content, picture totalling >50K removed to link available Forum Rules

Views: 1,826
Message 2 of 13

Re: Y580 on battery, : Bug Report for lenovo staff - Graphics throttling while using battery

hi link626,

Thanks for posting. This is certainly an interesting find. I've PM some informtion needed.

Hope to hear back.

conquer7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,796
Message 3 of 13

Re: Y580 on battery, : Bug Report for lenovo staff - Graphics throttling while using battery

I have the same problem with the same laptop with the 660m gtx, but my happens all the time on almost every game when using battery, the clock speed jumps causing my laptop to lag, what was the resolution for this problem?

dimentio1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,760
Message 4 of 13

I am having this exact same problem on my Y480. Clock speeds look like saw-teeth on a gpu test when gaming, making games unplayable on battery

conquer7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,713
Message 5 of 13

if this problem cant be resolved then i want a refund, because i paid for a WORKING laptop that would perform as well as any other on battery with the same specs, other laptops with this gpu while on battery hold this gpu clock steady while gaming while mine jumps continusesly making games unplayable, please lenovo come out with some kind of fix for this because i use my laptop gaming on battery comonly and this bug or design defect is very very anoying and driver changes do nothing at all.

Berriel
What's DOS?
Views: 1,679
Message 6 of 13

gpu throttling problem

I thing problem is obvious, please to resolve it in short  time. Thank you.

conquer7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,636
Message 7 of 13

Re: gpu throttling problem

this is me playing a game on battery (this happens on every game).

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/10/26/7xr.png

sharq
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,633
Message 8 of 13

work or gamer? i'm confused Smiley Very Happy

conquer7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,598
Message 9 of 13

Both, i use this laptop at work and for games as the 660m GTX should be able to handle games very well and it does plugged and though it is at half core clock on battery and STAYS there on a normal laptop it should be able to handle it fairly well on battery if it wernt for this stupid manufactory or design error in which Lenovo has yet to respond to. Quite agravating really.

Bluestar0002
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,458
Message 10 of 13

exactly the same problem here!

Top Kudoed Authors