Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 16,287
Message 1 of 22

Y580 - recovery of factory image from LENOVO_PART

Hi,

I had Y580 with 32GB SSD + 1TB HDD for a review. I copied all the HDD partitions on another HDD (via Acronis Home Image), SSD was not copied. After I restored the original partitions back to Lenovo drive (so the customer would get "factory install" screen again, the machine couldn't boot to Windows nor factory installation anymore.

However, LENOVO and LENOVO_PART partitions seem to be untouched and so do the partitions on the SSD. I can also access folder OKRBackup\Factory where .okr files are stored. These files are actually .wim images somehow modified for Lenovo. I could also access OKR environment, but it requires some .wsi files instead of .okr files so I can't do any recovery there either.

And now the question - what do I have to do in order to make the factory installation be available again? The drive should be in the "factory" state with all partitions exactly the same as shipped from factory, the files are there, but it simply doesn't work... Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,272
Message 2 of 22

Re: Y580 - recovery of factory image from LENOVO_PART

If you are not able to even boot to windows then reviving the onekey button is almost imppssible. You will have to send the laptop into repair so that they can reload everything to scratch. Have a look below to do it yourself. You would have to make factory default os yourself. Have a look below. the first links second post linl tells how to restore rapid drive function and the other to the guide for default hdd.I also found this. It could be helpful to restore the onekey feature back. Please ignore other links before trying the video
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Y580-How-to-do-Clean-Install-with-New-HDD/td-...
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Making-Factory-Default-HDD-Read-this-could-be...

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 16,251
Message 3 of 22

Hi Ishaan,

thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I can launch OKR without any problem, but I don't have any .wsi backup. I could however locate some factory install image which is also on the recovery partition, but I can't launch the recovery from it (OKR accepts only .wsi files, not .okr). The okr file is hidden in LENOVO_PART\|OKRBackup\Factory, where files boot.okr, mbr.okr and install.okr - the last one holds the factory image and is in fact a .wim image with all the files necessary.

Any thoughts on how can I launch the installation from this .okr image?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,231
Message 4 of 22

You could give this a try. Copy the instsll.okr, rename it to install.wim. Now copy the install.wim and replace it the one found in the windows instsllation. And copy the original before.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,230
Message 5 of 22

And something important to ask, you are using the "restore to initial backup" option or the "restore to existing backup" option?Please notify if it works with the first option.
Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 16,210
Message 6 of 22

"You could give this a try. Copy the instsll.okr, rename it to install.wim. Now copy the install.wim and replace it the one found in the windows instsllation. And copy the original before."

Didn't work Smiley Sad

Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 16,207
Message 7 of 22

I tried both "restore to initial backup" and "restore to existing backup", none of them worked.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,181
Message 8 of 22

The best you could do now is to make a new windiws install which looks like the oem install. The first way is to buy recovery disk and install with one key feature. The second way is to make on your own.
For making refer this link
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Making-Factory-Default-HDD-Read-this-could-be...
rest is upto you.
link626
802.11n
Views: 16,150
Message 9 of 22

did you say that you can access LENOVO_PART by simply clicking on the partition? Is the partition visible? or is it only visible in windows PE environment?
because it's supposed to be hidden and labeled as OEM partition in order for OKR to work.
If you restored all partitions to their factory size, I don't see why OKR wouldn't work, assuming the lenovo_part is still hidden as oem partition.

if the lenovo_part is visible, you need to use ptedit32 to change it back to hidden Type 12

Views: 16,145
Message 10 of 22

I can access LENOVO_PART by changing the partition type in Acronis Home Image (from type 12 to type 7). However, I somehow managed to install the factory image from os.okr file by combining couple of methods... Pretty tough, especially if you have SSD Smart Response Cache...

So the problem is solved for now. Thanks for any input and advice!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors