Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,403
Message 11 of 22

Re: Y580 - recovery of factory image from LENOVO_PART

If you have time, could you please explain the methods if you have time? And i hope you make a new factory image with new okr
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 7,401
Message 12 of 22

OK, here's the method. It was tested at Lenovo Y580 with 32GB SSD cache and 1TB HDD drive.

How to recover Ideapad Y580 to factory installation (LENOVO_PART and SYSTEM partition at SSD have to be intact)

This method can help you restore your Lenovo Y580 (and maybe other as well) to the original factory state. It is helpful if you somehow deleted/resized your Windows installation and want to get it back. As it isn't easy, use it only if you have enough skills with partitioning.

This method WILL ERASE any data on any other drives/partitions so always backup any data you have! It is also a good thing to clone the whole LENOVO_PART partition, just to be sure.

1, Use a software such as Acronis Home Image (or any other drive manager). I used the Acronis HI. There, you have possibility to access drives, change their letters and type. Simply change the type of the LENOVO_PART from 12 to 07. Delete the second partition on SSD (if you have any) and the big partition (usually the first one) on the HDD.

Then create a partition closest to the first partition (if you have SSD cache do so on SSD, if you don't have any SSD cache, do so on the HDD), format it to Windows NTFS, select type 07, mark it as active and assign a letter to it.

2, Clone the partition to another drive. 32GB+ flash USB is recommended as the partition itself is about 24GB large.

3, On another PC, attach the drive and open its content. Go to \Factory_Process\Factory.

4, You should find a couple of .okr files there. One of them is OS.okr. Rename it to OS.wim.

5, Download these files:

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/191008d1325460004-bootable-iso-create-installation-...

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/191009d1325460050-bootable-iso-create-installation-...

and extract them.

6, In the folder where you extracted these files, goto ISO\Sources. Copy the OS.wim from step 4 to this folder (sources).

7, Run RunMeAsAdminPE3v3x64 in the folder with the EASY PE file. It takes a while to process.

8, The ISO folder now contains some files and folder. In my case with Y580, the total size was about 10GB. You can create ISO file when the program asks, but 10GB aren't easy to be burnt. Say "no" and copy everything in the ISO folder to a USB flash/drive.

9, Go back to your Lenovo laptop. Insert the USB flash/drive from step 8 and boot from it by pressing F12 during startup and select the USB drive.

10, A graphical interface appears. Run "install". It will guide you through the process. Select the partition you created earlier in step 1 as a target one when asked for it.

I don't remember all the steps, but there are always explanations during the process so it shouldn't be a problem to use it.

11, After the installation is done, shut down the PC and unplug the HDD. Run the drive manager (the same one as in step 1) and change the partition type of LENOVO_PART back to 012. Reboot

12, After reboot, the laptop should show Welcome screen and make the OS installation ready for the first use. If you have SSD cache, the process will automatically adjust the partitions to make use of it.

13, Done!

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,396
Message 13 of 22

Great work! Please select your post as a solution and try nominating it on the knowledgebase. This is indeed very helpful.
Cheers!!!
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 7,388
Message 14 of 22

Posted as a solution, but please do the nomination; I'm too "junior" here to be able to nominate it.
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,384
Message 15 of 22

I did that. Nominating means only requesting it to become a article. Choosing it is the mods and admins work.
raisedadead
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,343
Message 16 of 22

Hi Crestwood,

I have had the same situation. I'll explain a bit and I just hope you guide me please.

I have a Lenovo U310. I was unfortunate enough to corrupt my USB recovery disk which I made after getting the Laptop.

Now I was trying Windows 8 Release Preview and since I don't have the recovery Image I have lost all chances of getting back windows 7 once again.

Now I did one thing I Installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and using a partion manager "gparted" was able to make the OEM partion "Lenovo_Part" visible. I can access that partion as you can. I have already copied that into another location for my safe keeping.

Now I followed your write-up thoroughly but could you tell me any other way how to get this done in Ubuntu. Cause .exe wont work and thats why I couldn't use "RunMeAsAdminPE3v3x64". I tried to use a emulating tool like "WineHQ" to run the .exe within Ubuntu, but that was a no joy!

So better I will have to lay hands on a friend's PC, but for the sake of curiosity I wanted to know how does this "EASY PE" work so I might find an alternate in Ubuntu. I just know that its a PreInstaller Environment.

Any advice!! I am researching and will keep you posted!

regards,
raisedadead.

Benevolently at your service. Using Lenovo Ideapad U310 Ultrabook !
w121
Paper Tape
Views: 3,944
Message 17 of 22

I also thought of this method, the links you gave are not working.

I got the same results restoring the system from the OS.okr using the  MS tool imagex. I managed so far to prepare USB stick with win7PE but not with the imagex. So, I used another drive and and Acronis.

The system is like before the first start.

In the forums somebody suggested that the LENOVO_PART can be made bootable. I tested this on unhidden partition, made it active and rebooted. Windows z PE is showing on the green OKR background. No imagex is available in this PE.

So, how can this Windows PE can be used to recover the system?

Any ideas?

Further, what happens when OKR is restored with the OKR Enginnering and contents on the LENOVO_PART copied to the nearly created? My problem is that OKR does not work as I decresed the size of the LENOVO_PART and made changes in HDD partitions.

I would like to have the OKR working so that I could make the bootable recovery DVDs with factory system. Any ideas?

pjotr

dercncplaner
Paper Tape
Views: 3,352
Message 18 of 22

Hi, PLEASE PLEASE

the two links are brocken. Please when you have the files upload again, maybe on mediafire.com ore other share site.

It is better to upload the files on this site too.

Please please .. i need the files because my U410 had big problems and a need to rescue the backup please
Crestwood
Paper Tape
Views: 3,345
Message 19 of 22

For all:

The links in my post were not provided by me, just found on the internet. The program obviously got payware, so you have to pay the license fee for it. Visit http://www.easype.com for more. Sorry for the inconvenience, you'll have to find another tools for the steps which require the program Smiley Sad

C

yugin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,453
Message 20 of 22

This is my experience of recovery modified C partition on Lenovo Z370 from LENOVO_PART rescue disk.
What the problem I had. I formatted C,D-drive partitions and changed their size. I didn't believe that Recovery Program Tool needs full Windows system installation on drive C. This was my big mistake. After these actions I had intact LENOVO_PART rescue partition and a first 200 Mb boot partition with Windows bootloader installed on it  on my laptop. Partitions on disk C and D was cleaned (formatted). On the LENOVO_PART rescue partition I had the next folders:
drwx------ 3  BOOT
-rwxr-xr-x 1 BOOTMGR
drwx------ 3 EFI
drwx------ 9 FACTORY_PROCESS
-rwxr-xr-x 1 LRSBootTmp.log
drwx------ 4 NB
drwx------ 4 OKRBackup
drwx------ 8 ONEKEY
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pagefile.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 PSN.TXT
drwx------ 3 $RECYCLE.BIN
-rwxr-xr-x 1SETBOOTKEY.CMD
-rwxr-xr-x 1 SETBOOTSCREEN.CMD
drwx------ 2 SOURCES
drwx------ 2 System Volume Information
The main files what we need are placed in: OKRBackup/Factory: Boot.okr  Info.ini  MBR.okr  OS.okr

These files are the WMI image files which can be unpacked by 7zip.
What I did for recovery C partition.
1) Booted from linux livecd (I chose this system - http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage).
2) Selected 1. default boot options. When the system was loaded write "startx" and press Enter for start XWindow with simple GUI interface.
3) Open Terminal and in terminal check the disk-name of "C" partition and "LENOVO_PART" partition by typing "fdisk -l" command or opening gparted gui program from "task menu bar".
For examle I had  "C" partition like a /dev/sda2 and  "LENOVO_PART" partition like a /dev/sda4
4) Now we must mount these partitions: in terminal
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/gentoo
5) After executing these two commands we can use 7z program to unpack OS.okr image file to the  /mnt/windows folder by command:
7z x  /mnt/gentoo/OKRBackup/Factory/OS.okr  /mnt/windows
After 20 minutes I had unpacked Windows 7 files on a Windows "disk C" partition. We can check this in Midnight Commander (mc command in terminal) or another file manager.
Then I rebooted computer and got Windows 7 Home Premium system with a factory defaults.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors