Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 643
Message 1 of 11

Y580 with SSD - Restore Image Issue

I had a boot failure yesterday.  Computer would not boot at all, asked for "Insert Boot disk and press any key"

So Lenovo advised me to restore to factory defaults which worked fine but that is of no use to me since all my files are in an image I created with Win 7.

So I then re-imaged with Win 7.  I am up and running.  But curiously, it booted up twice with no problem and then sure enough it wouldn't boot again, I heard the Hard drive clicking before it brought me to system recovery options.  I didn't go through any of the system recovery options.  I just shutdown.  Then i booted again and voila it works again... so here I am typing this on a working computer again which is re-imaged to 3 weeks ago but may be intermittent.

I guess if it fails completely I'll send it in to Lenovo to see if it's a hard drive problem... if it's clicking I guess that is a problem.  Otherwise, I have a question.

My 32 GIG SSD always had 13 gigs free always, from day one I do believe.  Now there is 16 gigs free of 24.  I am wondering if anyone else has re-imaged with Win 7.  I am curious if the Facorty Lenovo Image is still there hidden underneath.  I hope I didn't wipe it out.   Is there any way to tell?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 619
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y580 with SSD - Restore Image Issue

hi mikepilot233,

Clicking noise on the HDD is usually a sign of a failing HDD. The intermittent "Inser boot disk and press any key" error that you get is probably due to bad blocks on the boot sector where it holds the bootloader.

To try to run a diagnostic to determine the HDD's health. You can use HD Tune or use Seatools if you have a seagate HDD, or Data Lifeguard for Western Digital drives.

As for the SSD, the OS probably cleared the cached data on the drive that's why you're seing 16Gb free as discussed in page 12 this manual. To see if the recovery partition is still intact, open Disk Management.(Start > right click on Computer > Manage)

Spoiler

Sample Recovery Partition:

Recovery 3.jpg

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 614
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for the info. I have the healthy OEM partition there and it's about 19.5 gigs. So I should be in good shape then you think?

As for my drive, I have the Samsung 1 tb drive spins at 5400 or so. Not the 7200 rpm drive anyhow. I can use this HD Tune you think than to diagnose it? It definitely clicks on startup. But it's only done it 3 or 4 times now. Sometimes it doesn't click. It's working right now and I'm waiting for it to fail again. But yes, I would like to see if I can diagnose it. I'll try HD tune I guess.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 611
Message 4 of 11

hi mikepilot233,

If the One Key Recovery button still triggers then you should be good.

For the HDD diagnostics, yes you can use HD Tune to test it with the 1TB 7200RPM drive. If you get any errors, I recommend you contact lenovo for service ASAP.

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 598
Message 5 of 11

Ok thanks again, but I have the slower spinning hard drive, the 5400 rpm.  Is that ok with HD Tune as well.  It's the Samsung hard drive.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 582
Message 6 of 11

hi mikepilot233,

Yes, you can use HD tune for 5400RPM HDD's. As an alternative, you can use SeaTools as it also works on Samsung hard drives.

Cheers.

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 7 of 11

Thanks. I will try. As of right now, on a cold startup it starts up every time clicking and that's the only time it clicks. It doesn't click while in regular use. And on this startup right now, I put a little pressure on the keyboard and the clicking stopped... that can't be good.
mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 552
Message 8 of 11

I did the "Short Drive test" with Sea tools and it Passed. Should I try these other tests. It says the Advanced tests may wipe the drive. And I don't know what these Generic tests are?
Highlighted
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 537
Message 9 of 11

hi mikepilot233,

The Short Drive Test does a random seek test on the HDD for bad block. I recommend you do the Long Drive Test as it performs a sector by sector test on the HDD. See this article for more info.

Let me know if you get any errors

Cheers

mikepilot233
Punch Card
Views: 523
Message 10 of 11

Long Generic Pass. Still clicks on startup. Today was the first time in a few days that it wanted to do a system recovery. I just shut it down and restarted then it came alive. It's as if it runs fine once it's been running a minute or two, but if I start it after it's been shutdown for a few hours, the hard drive clicks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors