Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mt99808
Paper Tape
Views: 1,038
Message 1 of 12

Y650 Optimal HDMI to TV performance

Basically I spent a little more on a laptop than i had planned on just for this functionality.  I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the the video quality compared to when I run the exact same files off my ps3 (also through hdmi).  Its not a drastic difference but its definitely noticeable.  Are there some sort of settings on the graphics card that I could adjust to optomize this performance?

Retired Guru
Views: 1,009
Message 2 of 12

Re: Y650 Optimal HDMI to TV performance

Which videocard do you have inside?

//help will save the world
mt99808
Paper Tape
Views: 1,004
Message 3 of 12

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD

Retired Guru
Views: 997
Message 4 of 12

It's the answer on "why is picture not that good".

Intel 4500MHD though being able to accelerate video can't do good postprocessing/deblocking and so on work on video. You can try using CoreAVC or FFdshow software filters to help this situation but it will require some skills.

mt99808
Paper Tape
Views: 993
Message 5 of 12

I'm still within my 30 days ..... between this and the stupid touchpad I think I'm going to return this POS. 

Retired Guru
Views: 989
Message 6 of 12

Man, don't be so naive. Any laptop with Intel 4500MHD will give you such quality. And about touchpad - it's one of best I've personally seen on laptops. As well as keyboard - both are very convenient to use having laptop on knees.

mt99808
Paper Tape
Views: 982
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for your help.  Can't agree with the touchpad.  When I'm typing I get windows popping up, crazy scrolls and fonts changing all the time. 

Re: the video card.  Would a laptop with a dedicated graphics card like a 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 show a significant improvement over what i'm experiencing?

pcrayz
Token Ring
Views: 974
Message 8 of 12

You might experiance better playback performance if you go to Graphics Properties then select 3D Settings scroll down to Driver Memory Footprint and change it to High. As for the touchpad I know what you mean, if i just hover my left thumb over the touchpad even being careful not to touch it the mouse will only go up and down, really weird. I made it a little better by turning off a lot of the special features in the touchpad property settings then find device settings tab and select settings to turn off/on/adjust there.

Ishbar
Punch Card
Views: 959
Message 9 of 12

The laptop you bought is not a POS.

I hate when people automatically think that when something isn't working as they hoped, it obviously is malfunctioning or just crap.

The machine you purchased is very good in its own element, but as far as end all performance via HDMI - the Media Accelerator is drawing significant resources from your Memory/HDD and has to juggle Decoding and work with the Processor during playback. 

Any integrated card is going to be dependent on the remaining system hardware.

Independent hardware, like the ATI you mentioned will perform ten times better. This is because it operates on its own memory and processing chip.

So when you DO return this for something with a DEDICATED/DISCRETE graphics card, please don't tell all your friends and family that the Y650 is a POS.

The only one to blame is yourself for your lack of research prior to purchasing.

mt99808
Paper Tape
Views: 956
Message 10 of 12

First off ... I did do enough research to find out that Lenovo probably makes the best quality laptops on the market.  I just had a T series die on me that i purchased used and lasted for a solid 2+ years.  I absolutely wanted to buy another Lenovo but hdmi was mandatory. 

Why the hell would they even have an HDMI port on a laptop with a graphics card that can't support the purpose that 90% of people would be buying it for. 

Even though i was going to return this thing I still wanted to get another Lenovo.  After searching the website for 2 days and not finding anything that supported both HDMI and dedicated graphics i called the 1-800 number.  I asked the girl .... give me a laptop that has HDMI and dedicated graphics .... "i'm sorry sir, we don't sell anything in Canada that supports both of those". 

GAME OVER.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors