08-19-2009 03:19 AM
Just received my Y650 and need to slip in my SSD.
I unscrewed 20 screws and was able to lift up the front half but it was stuck at the back near the hinges.
(a) How does the cover release from near the hinges? Did I miss some screws or something or should I just pull harder?
(b) Also when lifting the cover there were a few cables connected between the top & bottom halves. Do I have to disconnect each one or is there enough clearance to work with them connected?
08-19-2009 03:20 AM
BTW ... I did read this thread but it is Step 2. I am stuck at Step 1.
08-20-2009 06:33 AM
Called lenovo on the phone and they were very helpful!
Here is the procedure:
1. pull out battery
2. undo 20 screws on base
3. turn over and pull off keyboard + disconnect keyboard cable
4. disconnect all cables
5. unclick white top half from base
6. disconnect any remaining wires
7. you need to unclick the little black thin bar with the lights and then remove wire from clips
8. remove x1 screw of the circuit board near the front edge/trackpad
9. slide harddrive towards you
10. unscrew harddrive from the little harddrive bracket
11. put everything back together!
Secret - entry is from the top NOT the bottom!
09-17-2009 10:45 AM
BT can be added - find one on eBay (fro example one for S10 model). WiFi barely can be changed - lenovo laptops check for Vendor_ID in device and if it is not Lenovo-approved it will fail.