04-27-2009

Maryland

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 1 of 2

Y710 "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding"

2009-09-18, 11:36 AM

At odd times, the display blanks out for a couple of seconds and a popup from the system tray says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Not always true - sometimes I get the blue screen and sometimes the machine simply hangs. I found Microsoft posts blaming this on the graphics chip manufacturer and internet posts blaming it on Vista - Who knows? Anyway, I uninstalled the display adapter completely via Device Manager, deleted the driver files from the hard drive, installed the latest driver from Lenovo (8.453.0.000 1/22/08) and the problem didn't go away. Repeated the process, installing the latest driver from AMD (same version) and the problem remains. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Options

2316 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Y710 "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding"

2009-09-19, 6:38 AM

This is VGA chip/driver problem.

You can try uninstalling driver and live two/three days without i you'll still be able to get almost as high resolution as it was). If laptop as well is naughty during that period - your chip is faulty and needs to be repaired.

As well it may be a chip itself fault (as I sad above) but it can come up only at full load. so theres a chance you'll not have a chance to whether it is driver or chip by this way.

Try getting latest desktop drivers for ATI graphics and them google for "ATI mobility modder" - you'll have drivers that will tell whether your old driver was guilty or chip itself. If everything keeps screwing - it's likely the chip that is broken. If everything works fine - it's driver.

//help will save the world
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save