Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,848
Message 1 of 7

Yet another problem with z580 on Windows 8

Hello

Yesterday I've got myself a brand new z580. I picked the version with no system, as I already own a copy of Win8.

Everything installed properly, but I'm having one extremely annoying problem that practically prevents me from using this laptop. I mean wireless internet...

It connected without any problems just after the installation of Win8. Though after literally few minutes I ended up with the limited connectivity problem. I disconnected from the wireless network and connected again and it worked... for another 10-15 minutes. And it's happening all the time.

I've been struggling with this problem since yesterday, so here are the things I've already tried:

-installing WLAN drivers for Win8 from Lenovo - I get the message that "The setup program for the target device is not found",

-downloading all important updates from Windows Update,

-installing the chinese Lenovo drivers as I've seen it mentioned on these forums,

-disabling IPv6 (through regedit),

-disabling the IP Helper service,

-disabling the option to let the system turn off the device to save power,

-installing drivers for the WLAN from Windows Update.

NONE of the above worked. I'm quite sure it's not the router problem, since the internet works perfectly fine on other 3 computers at home (one is XP and 2 are Win7).

I'm totally clueless here and extremely annoyed because I actually can't use my new laptop due to this issue... I'd probably consider using Win7 instead, though my main cause of getting a new laptop was to be able to use Visual Studio 2012 (which requires Win8).

Any help will be highly appreciated!

drgeeks
Paper Tape
Views: 6,824
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yet another problem with z580 on Windows 8

Unfortunately this sounds like the same problem we are all experiencing.  There is no fix and the work around is to roll back the drivers.  It is not possible to get power management and wifi working together.  So if you need wifi then you need to eliminate the power management.

See http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/S205-Windows-8-wireless-problem/td-p/884375

drgeeks
Paper Tape
Views: 6,818
Message 3 of 7

I've just been digging around and found it is possible to get both power managament and wifi working.  I found the following at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/wifi-not-working/b699067a-38fc-4...

Firstly, uninstall the power management software given by lenovo for windows 8. It controls the functional keys on your laptop. It has changed the action of Fn+F5 to switch flight mode. Install the power management software that comes with your laptop i.e for windows 7. It shows some error messages regarding compatibility, ignore them. After installation, restart your laptop. Go to desktop and press Fn+F5 and turn on wifi as you did on windows 7. Everything should be fine, as it was for me. Would like to hear from you if you faced any problems.

So after installing the original Win7 energy management I have both working finally.

GregPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,817
Message 4 of 7

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I did uninstall the Energy Management like you suggested but nothing changed. The problem doesn't seem to describe mine, though, as my WiFi is visible and working properly, except for disconnecting every 10-15 minutes or when the network usage is high (for example when I start downloading something).

I've noticed that there is a weird problem with the installer for the drivers on Lenovo website. When I run it, it starts extracting the files to C:\Drivers and it tells me about overwriting files even though the folder is EMPTY. So it extracts one setup.exe and then overwrites it with completely another and that's why I'm getting the message about overwriting...

Is the drivers installer on the website faulty or something? Why does it overwrite its own files when extracting?

EDIT:
I opened the .exe with WinRar and I was able to properly extract the 3 folders manually and install the drivers. Though I see the version that installed is still the same dated for 2012-07-09 so it doesn't really seem to be anything special for Windows 8...

EDIT 2:
Yup, the problem still occurs, installing the Win8 drivers for WLAN from Lenovo website didn't help at all...

drgeeks
Paper Tape
Views: 6,747
Message 5 of 7

Sorry it didn't help.  Rereading your symptoms it sounds like it could be routing on the Lenovo.  

A couple of commands to try in a command window:

ipconfig /all

Will show a list of adaptors you should check the wifi adaptor has addresses for:

IP address

Subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.0

Default gateway

You migh also check that nothing else has an IP address.  Then check the IPV4 routing table using:

route print

There should be an entry with destination 0.0.0.0 and gateway as above.  If all that looks good then you try pinging a series of hosts and see where it breaks using:

ping <address>

to your interface IP address

the gateway IP address

an internet host IP address, e.g. 173.194.33.34 (which is google)

an internet name, e.g. google.com

GregPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,719
Message 6 of 7

Hey again,

I think the problem somehow resolved itself. No idea how, but it suddenly stopped disconnecting or at least when it happens, it's once per few hours, not minutes like before. Quite weird, cause I really have no idea what could have worked here Smiley Tongue

Anyway, thanks for your help!

andrew_eagles
Paper Tape
Views: 5,787
Message 7 of 7

There is a useful link here - http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/z580-can-t-find-hotkey-driver-thus-i-can-t-...

I have Z580 running Win8, uninstalled LEM 8.0.2.4 and installed LEM 7.0.3.3 and changed advanced power management to allow maximum WIFI performance on battery.  will see how it goes. If the problem persists then i might try disabling the 'enable windows to turn off this device' under device manager > WLAN Adapter > Power Management.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors