Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucamp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,886
Message 1 of 11

Z 50-70 Black screen with cursor Intel HD 4000/ Nvidia gforce 840m

Hello,

I'm having this black screenproblem after I log in, I found different solution here but they mostly have AMD radeon graphic card, I do have the Intel HD 4000 and the gforce 840m, win 8.1. How can I fix it? I try several procedures but now in safe mode it doesn't even le me do the windows update.

Please help!

Luca

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,882
Message 2 of 11

Re: Z 50-70 Black screen with cursor Intel HD 4000/ Nvidia gforce 840m

hi Luca,

Welcome to the Forums.

If you're able to boot in Safe Mode without the blackscreen with cursor issue, can you try to perform a clean boot to temporarily disable non-microsoft services/apps that might be causing the problem and observe the machine in normal mode.

If the problem remains, try uninstalling the Intel and Nvidia drivers from the Cpmtrp; Panel (icon views) > Programs and Features (Safe Mode) then reboot in normal mode. If successful (without the blackscreen with cursor issue), reinstall the Intel and Nvidia video drivers from the Z50-70 drivers page.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

lucamp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,863
Message 3 of 11

Hello again, thanks for your reply,

I tried as you said the clean boot but nothing changed, then I disinstalled the drivers...same...now I'm trying to install those drivers you suggested, let's see

lucamp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,858
Message 4 of 11

I installed the drivers but nothing as changed, black screen again after the login..is there any other solution I could try?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,841
Message 5 of 11

hi there,

After logging-in to Windows and getting the black screen with cursor, can you try to press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. to open Task Manager.

If Task Manager opens, you can try the following:

1.  In Processes Tab, check if you have an apps that says Search ProtectVosteran, or Run Once Wrapper and hit End Process to terminate these apps/

If this works, the desktop should appear. The next step would be to run an antimalware utility (e.g., Malwarebytes) to clean any virus infection the system.

More info:

Vosteran.com Search (Removal Guide)

2. On the Task Manager, click File > New Task (Run..), type explorer and hit Enter. If successful, the desktop should appear. From here, try to run Windows Update to get the latest patch and bug fixes for the OS:

3. On the Task Manager, click File > New Task (Run..), type rstrui and hit Enter. This will open System Restore and if applicable, you can restore the system to a previous date prior to the black screen with cursor problem.

More info:

How to Do a System Restore in Windows 8 and 8.1

If all of the above steps doesnțt work, I recommend you backup all important files and press the OneKey Recovery to restore the system to factory settings.

- Link to picture

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

lucamp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,834
Message 6 of 11

Yes, it worked!I ended "run once wrapper" on the task manager. thanks so much!
lucamp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,827
Message 7 of 11

and I did the malware scan of course Smiley Wink

GregJoram
Paper Tape
Views: 1,708
Message 8 of 11

Hello,

I also have the same problem, but i do not have any of the processes listed above.  Also I installed windows update today.  It took about 10 minutes to install the updates and then after logging in i get black screen with cursor. I can access task manager no problem and can boot into safe mode.  What is my next step?

I have a y50-70 touch with an 860m.

Thanks,
Greg

GregJoram
Paper Tape
Views: 1,693
Message 9 of 11

Quick update. I system restored to 6 days prior  I got an error in the windows could not restore message in the orange windows 8.1 update loading screen.

When the computer booted back into safe mode it says your system had been successfully restored to ....

Booted back into regular mode and still the black screen with cursor.

back into safe mode restored to the the patch before that (another 5 days prior) and it successfully restored in both the windows loading screen and got a successfull restore mesage in safe mode.

Booted back into regular mode and still black screen with cursor.

Let me know what to do next any help would be greatly appreaciated!

GregJoram
Paper Tape
Views: 1,687
Message 10 of 11

Another update.

I read some more things on the internet reccomending to delet video drivers for my GPU. So i started off with shutting down by holding the power button for a few seconds.  And now the computer magically works again.  I'm mystified as this was the first time I shut it down this way by holding the power button but i had shut it down like 10 times before.  Hope this can help someone else.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors