cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 128,727

Question

I can't adjust or change my screen brightness with the hotkey (F11 and F12) or with the slider in Settings. This happened after I updated to WIndows 8.1.

Answer

Installing the Intel card driver may fix the issue, however, iinstallation of the drivers below is also recommended to ensure the brightness issue in Windows 8.1 is addressed.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
domdaleao

Worked. Thanks!

kyuchukova

Hi this worked for me installing the Drivers for win 8

go to Lenovo support web site http://support.lenovo.com

Choose drivers and software

Find your device

Choose category Video

OS

Download and install the drivers, probably Intel one

tariqshakeel

Thanks,

I am using z500 touch. I updated windows 8.1. I used for 2 weeks almost. One day just by chance, I touched F12 key . My screen all the way went very dim. Intel driver reinstalling helped me and it worked.

After that I faced a new issue, My touchpad stopped working 100%. Now its zooming in and out is not working.

ddelatorre14

Go to Control Panel>Display>Adjust Resolution>Click advanced settings>click properties>click driver tab... After you click update driver, it will ask you "how you want to search for driver software;" click "browse my computer for software" then next window choose "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer;" you'll see compatible drivers, look for "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" click next>

-I did it and its back to normal brightness!

Spoiler
Smiley Wink
phr0g

There is another thing that can cause this, as I found out, and it is the installation of TeamViewer.

This can install a "monitor" driver over the old one (something to do with black screen setting I think).

If you go into device settings, check the provider of the monitor driver. If it is Teamviewer, then uninstall it and scan for changes...make sure you end up with the Microsoft driver...

jeepao

Use basic display driver or update to the new driver if available for 8.1 Windows 8.1 Can't Adjust Brightness

viki_viki

I had the problem with the brightness in my idepad z400 and I installed de Intel Video Driver for Windows 8.1suggested here and after the instalation the screen stoped working and now it just blink and you can only see the cursor.

ajameel

I cannot adjust my brightness either and it is very dark, hurting my eyes. 

I cannot seem to install the Interl driver ... I get this error message after trying to run the file

IVY : cannot find set up file

What should I do?

vijayanram123

Dear

After the installation of Windows 8.1, I had noticed  that the brightness of the laptop went down considerably low. Even by increasing or decreasing the brightness (F11 and F12) situation did not improve. The solution is a simple one. One just needs to re-install the graphic drivers and upgrade the Lenovo power management.

more vist .....raminfotech

vijayanram123

other

solution

given

1.windowes 8 no problem

only 8.1 this problem

2. windowes 8.1 updated  no problem windowes refresh  problem solved

thank you support

vist raminfotech laptop service center

ashklynn

thank you...it's working!!!!! my lenovo z500 have the same problem as Z500 touch dim brightness...just follow the instruction then see the result..thank you again..

lauraj

I have an ideaPad p400 Touch. This happened to me in 2014, after I installed Windows 8.1. I updated the graphics driver and it was ok. Now, after I installed an Office software update, it happened again. I updated the basic display driver, as instructed by ddelatorre14 on 05-27-2014(above), and my laptop screen was bright as a new penny...but also totally unable to detect my second monitor.So, still with one screen! So I rolled back the updated driver, and now it is working, but I think only temporarily. There seems to be something about hitting F11 or F12 that makes it go to the dimmest setting and stay there. So, I may be back...

jonogibran

Dear All, I got same problem with my Lenovo IdeaPad Z500, I installed/update as per ANSWER...but the problem still exist, key of brightness is not function, the display still not clear/dark. I tried to connect to TV by HDMI and good... Does anybody give me advice, please? Jono Indonesia Lenovo Ideapad Z500 Product : 20202 Serial CB********  BIOS 71CN22WW(V1.05)

Mod comment: Serial number removed for members protection.

Miguletobar

No encontré nada de Windows 8 y problema relacionado con dispositivo de audio, se le apagó la luz roja que trae y no funcionó más , se abrá echado a perder, mi notebook es un Lenovo Z400, aparentemente el notebook funciona correctamente .

Miguletobar

I found nothing of Windows 8 and related audio device problem, you turned off the red light did not work brings more open spoiled, my laptop is a Lenovo Z400, apparently the notebook is working properly.

vijayanram123
Dear

Windowes refesh after ready

msonda

I have a  s215 that I've downgraded to Windows 8.1 64bit. For the most part I have everything working. I can't adjust or change my screen brightness with the hotkey (F11 and F12) or with the slider in Settings. This happened after I updated to WIndows 8.1.

msonda

I have a  s215 .

I can't adjust or change my screen brightness with the hotkey (F11 and F12) or with the slider in Settings. This happened after I updated to WIndows 8.1. (64bit)

erniux

1. slide any right corner and click on 'Search'.

2. Write "Regedit".

3. Press F3 in regedit to open the search dialog box (or select "Edit" menu).

4. Write the key and give FeatureTestControl "Find Next".

5. Once found FeatureTestControl right click, select "Modify

6. Replace the original value by: FFFF

7. Restart and problem solved

Work 100 %!

Working with win 10

jmakki

Dear Lenovo support team,

Your support.lenovo.com website is not working.

I can't fix my pc without fixing your website.

Thanks and Regards,

Jassim Makki

adalava

Solution from erniux regarding changing registry key FeatureTestControl to FFFF worked for me!! I'm using Windows 10.