Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgn15
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,262
Message 1 of 11

Z400 Windows7 Pro 64-bit DVD Clean Install Problem

This is my situation:

When I bought my Z400 around a year ago, it had a windows 8 (Trial only) so I clean installed it with Windows 7 32-bit several times already since then.

I recently got a Windows7 64 bit installation DVD  from a friend and I discovered that my 32-bit key will work for a 64 bit of the same OS. So I did the usual format (boot from dvd drive) but it's not reading the dvd and instead still boots from the harddrive, even though DVD drive is already 1st on boot sequence. I thought the dvd drive was not working, so I tried booting from my old Windows7 32 bit installation cd. It still boots.

So I was thinking this is due to the installer being 64 bit? I tried both Legacy and UEFI options in BIOS out of curiousity but the 64 bit installer is still not being read and it still goes to boot from hard drive.

I consider myself just moderately familiar with these technical stuff so I might not have known if there are other things I should have fixed/changed for this to work.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Skalli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,239
Message 2 of 11

Re: Z400 Windows7 Pro 64-bit DVD Clean Install Problem

Quickest way:

You can always start an installation process when you're in your OS. So just select your drive and look for the setup.

If it's really architecture-based, then you should see an appropriate message. Did you just burn the .iso to an empty DVD? I prefer just unpacking them on rewritable drives. Smiley Happy

//Edit: If you're using UEFI, make sure to disable safe mode.

sgn15
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,233
Message 3 of 11

I am using a Windows7 32-bit right now, so the installer for windows7 64-bit can't be opened.

The installer files inside the dvd are the folders and setup.exe. This is true for both my own 32-bit dvd and the new 64-bit dvd.

I don't see any message or error. That's the problem. It just really goes straight to boot from hard drive instead of booting the 64 bit dvd despite the bios boot settings.

When I do the same method (same bios boot settings) for my own 32-bit installer, it works (boots from installer dvd), that's why I think the 64-bit installer is the issue, not the dvd drive itself.

I already checked and this laptop can run windows 7 64 bit as far as I know.

How do I disable the safe mode?

Edit:

and 1 more thing I noticed in BIOS boot, it says in description, if it's Windows 8 64-bit, choose UEFI, otherwise, choose LEGACY.

What does that mean???

Skalli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,222
Message 4 of 11

@sgn15 wrote:

How do I disable the safe mode?

Edit:

and 1 more thing I noticed in BIOS boot, it says in description, if it's Windows 8 64-bit, choose UEFI, otherwise, choose LEGACY.

What does that mean???

When you're in the boot options and enable UEFI there should be an option named "Secure Boot". This is only visible when UEFI is enabled.

UEFI just means, that your drive is formatted using GPT (and no MBR). Thus you can not install Windows 10 using legacy mode. You would need to format the whole drive before the installation (because GPT is not compatible to a MBR). But then you would not be able to activate Win10 (because of missing Windows 7/8 key). So, try UEFI mode with secure boot disabled and boot from disk again.

Here is an example of safeboot:

//I missspelled it earlier as "safe" not "secure" boot, my fault.

sgn15
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,198
Message 5 of 11

I'll just type the BIOS here from memory since I can't take pics at the moment. BIOS for z400 looks something like this.

START OF BOOT
Boot Mode - LEGACY or UEFI
Boot Priority - LEGACY or UEFI
USB - ENABLED or DISABLED

Boot sequence:
Hard drive
DVD drive
another one here I forgot something with PXE if I'm not mistaken

END OF BOOT

So as soon as I changed the Boot Mode to UEFI, both Boot Priority and Boot Sequence disappears. In the former area of Boot Sequence list are 2 EFIs like this:

EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (with code numbers and hyphens here)
EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (with code numbers and hyphens here)

Now I don't know what EFI is, but I selected UEFI and disabled Secure Boot like you said, saved changes, and when it booted, it said like "checking for media...." then after a few seconds, it said something like "EFI Network 0 for IPv4 boot failed".

I apologize I don't know these stuff. I only knew the straightforward clean install and I thought installing 64 bit was the same process as for 32 bit.

I tried pressing F12 to get to boot options (hard drive, dvd drive, etc.) but it also listed the pair of  EFI Network 0 instead of the hard drive, dvd drive, etc. so from how I understood it, the laptop doesn't even attempt to read the dvd drive because of the bios boot settings?

Skalli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,180
Message 6 of 11

Such things are hard to describe or solve if you (<-me) can't see it. Do you have anyone who could help with this?

Usually it's not that hard to get an installation running, but instead of writing again and again someone might solve it with you together in just a few minutes. Maybe a computer store might even help you without paying them (if you ever bought something there).

Cause this way it might take forever to solve this. Except someone has a similiar setup/issue and knows the solution.

If you can't boot up in UEFI mode, then you installed your current Windows installation with a MBR (Master Boot Record) in legacy mode. From your previous post it sounded like you used UEFI. You can just enter the BIOS again before it tries to boot and change it back to legacy.

//Edit:

EFI is just the successor of the old (legacy) BIOS. BIOS, and the mentioned MBR, do haver their restrictions. E.g. BIOS not supporting drives >2 TB.

When back in legacy mode, did you move the "DVD drive" to top priority? Like this:

Boot sequence:
DVD drive

Hard drive

sgn15
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,162
Message 7 of 11

Yes, I did in this order:

1. While in Legacy boot mode, I put dvd drive first

2. change legacy to uefi

3. disabled secure boot

So I called my friend and I asked him to burn me another copy of the 64 bit installer, this cd's in even better condition than the first, still the same problem.

Highlighted
Skalli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,147
Message 8 of 11

I heard of some BIOS problems when booting from DVD in the past. But that wasn't about the Z400.

Do you have any USB device (4GB+) that you could use to boot from? Making a USB device (even an external HDD) is quite easy.

If that works, we know it may be a BIOS problem. However, the latest BIOS for the Z400 is really old, unfortunately. And I didn't find any change notes/fixed bugs for it.

Also, your friend could try to boot from the DVD. So you know if the DVD is even bootable or not.

sgn15
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,139
Message 9 of 11

I tried my external hard drive. I put all installation folders and files in my external hard drive's root directory. I tried Legacy boot mode with the usb first in boot sequence (meaning it's recognized by the BIOS that the hdd is connected). Result: It still boots from hard drive.

Tried the UEFI boot mode with secure boot disabled, same problem.

Also tried updating the BIOS from the installer here

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z400-...

*even if I'm trying to install Windows7 64 bit, not Windows8, but problem still persists after BIOS update

My friend's desktop is already 64-bit OS and both old and new dvd installers boot for his desktop.

Skalli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,127
Message 10 of 11

UEFI and Secure Boot disabled is correct, but the USB must also be the top boot priority.

Sorry when I forgot to mention that:

To be able to boot from a USB drive (either stick or hdd) you first have to format it as a bootable drive. Then you can just simply unzip the iso image to the disk (or just use the tool mentioned below).

Here is a good and easy explanation of how to make any USB drive bootable with a tool called "Rufus": http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

If even the USB drive doesn't boot into the setup, I really don't know what could be the problem here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors