cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cleo_Lenovo
Views: 71,951

Question

The default behavior of F1 through F12 keys on the z500 are set to perform laptop functions like mute, turn sound or brightness up and down and so on.

Is there a way to reverse the way F1, F2.. F12 keys work, so they work like on any other USB regular/traditional keyboard.

I use the basic functionality of the F-keys all the time, when renaming files, searching and so on, and I would like to be able to use them without having to press "Fn" every time.

Answer

A new BIOS has just been released should be able to address the concern above.

BIOS Update for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook - version 1.21
Follow the instruction of installation and you should be able to use the function keys without FN right away. If it doesn't you have to enable it in BIOS.

Note: Make note of any settings you have changed in the BIOS Configuration Utility. These settings may have to be re-entered after updating the BIOS.

Attention: Do not power off or restart your computer during the BIOS flashing process, which will cause serious damage and improper functioning of your computer.

Please strictly follow the steps in the link above to avoid any problems.

How to go to BIOS in Windows 8? Check out this article: How to get into BIOS in Windows 8.

How to enable in BIOS: 

1. In BIOS, go to Configuration tab
  2. Arrow down to find "HotKey Mode"
  3. Press Enter to change from "Hotkey Mode" to "Legacy Mode".
  4. Press Fn+F10 to save the settings and exit BIOS

If you can't find the HotKey Mode, please try reloading BIOS Default Settings.

You can do so by going to Exit > Load Default Settings.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Rosencratz

Is there one for windows 7

Cleo_Lenovo

Rosencratz, I don't see Win 7 verison at the moment. I could ask but unsure if engineering will deliver for Win 7.

I notice a community user who owns P500 + Win 7 said the bios works for him too. For your info P500 using the same BIOS as Z400/Z500.

Dantert

Does this Bios update work on windows 8.1 too?

lgb

I too need the function fix ASAP for Windows 7.  When I tried to download the BIOS for Windows 8, in hopes it will work for me, it just says "the version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS".  Lenovo, please provide a windows 7 fix!  The function keys are WAY more important for functionality than are the brightness, sound keys, etc.  If I had known this was the way my laptop would come, I would never have bought it.

rajvora18

Hi, I got X240 laptop last week. As per the company's policy its been changed from windows 8 to windows 7. How do I alter the function keys i.e. I can directly press F2 instead of Fn+F2?

fabiomartin2006

fabiomartin2006

Joestinof

Hello all, 

I have updated my bios to version 1.21 but i still can't swap my fn keys to normal "F-keys". I can only enable and disable the FN-keys. Also something that isn't working well for me is that the normal F-keys don't work in same games i play. 

I tried searching for the last bios, the verion i had installed before 1.21 but can't find it. Anyone who can help me with this?

ATygart

I am not sure If you have discovered how to change the "F-Keys" or not, but i changed mine by doing the following:

1)  Open "Control Pannel"

2)  Setting Control Pannel to show small icons (list is in alphabetical order from left to right)

3) Select "Keyboard"

4) Then selecting the tab "ThinkPad F1-F12 Keys" and selecting the legacy option

Pic.png

I Hope this helps

I have a thinkpad edge E545. Sorry if this post is not relevant for your pc.

ekcd

Is there a linux version of update ? 

Contributors