Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikecico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 200
Message 1 of 5

Z400 touch won't start

Hi, I opened up my Z400 to clean it out, and put new thermal paste on the CPU/heat-sink.  However, now it won't start at all, no response to the power button.  I had cleaned off the sink/cpu contacts with alchohol swabs, and added paste, cleaned out dust out of the fan and exhaust port.

The charge light is on when I plug it in, but it won't start at all.  Is there a way to check if it's truly fried, or if there's some magic CMOS-draining thing or something I need to do to get it started again?

Thanks!

mikecico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 173
Message 2 of 5

Re: Z400 touch won't start

As an update, I did the following based on some other threads, no luck:

• Removed the power cord
  • Removed the battery
  • held the power button down for 30s
  • hit the Novo button

Same result, no response to the power button, only the charging light comes on when I attach the power cord.

mikecico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 140
Message 3 of 5

One more question on this, one thing that was missing from my earlier post was that I was missing a screw (or possibly both) screws for the fan.  Attached is an image of the fan with the screw locations circled in black.

Are these screws conductive, i.e., are they required to complete a circuit that allows the machine to start?  If so I likely need new screws fro this, I can't find the originals.

I thought I could get away with only one screw in, but none of the screws match the hole on the left.  The fact that that screw hole is borderd by white outline made me think it's important.

Anyway, am I on the right track for this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 129
Message 4 of 5

The screws are conductive and ground the fan body.  They are not needed to start, and all of them are required to be installed or the unit will not sit straight and it will overheat.  You can replace with any screw with the same thread pitch and length.  A big hardware stiore might be able to match.  Pulling the CMOS battery with the unit unplugged and with the main battery out might reset.  Let it sit that way for 10 seconds.  Don't do this if you have an unknown BIOS password.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mikecico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 116
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply, do you know where I can find the CMOS battery?  Haven't been able to find it after Googling so far.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors