11-27-2017

CA

33 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1 of 5

Z50-70 INVALID product name and Lenovo SN in bios

2017-11-27, 15:41 PM

I bought my Z50-70 used for a decent price. The seller had mentioned having something replaced while the machine was under warranty. I have searched these forums for hours, and found various things to help this issue with other lenovo models but nothing I could get to work with my machine. Anybody have any insight or information? I think it's causing my nvidia card to remain undetected as well.

Options

11777 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7064 Signins

741234 Page Views

• Views: 741234
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Z50-70 INVALID product name and Lenovo SN in bios

2017-11-27, 16:26 PM

Hi bburghall,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Service technician should have used a tool to update the serial number and BIOS information after changes to the motherboard. Such tool is internal and either sending it to the depot or with an authorized tech could do it.

Service Center Locator guide here.

Another option is checking with any local service center nearest you if they have similar tool available to update the BIOS information. Manually updating the NVIDIA driver after verifying the hardware ID ( right click to choose property of the GPU on device manager) can help. 

Initially try reseting the BIOS to default then save and exit.

The reseller may have the same issue before with the GPU chip that may be related to current NVIDIA issue specially if factory reset was already done.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

11-27-2017

CA

33 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2017-11-27, 18:39 PM
sigh, thanks for the reply. I'll probably just suffer with the issue as I don't want to pay for it to be serviced. It's unfortunate considering other lenovo laptops, servers and various other brands allow you to fix these issues on your own.
Options

4 Posts

11-27-2017

CA

33 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2017-12-03, 16:44 PM

Curious if anybody has been able to edit the DMI information? Lenovo supplies a handful of tools to do exactly what I need. Z50-70 seems to have a locked eeprom. This should be a relatively easy thing to do. Any help at all?

Options

11777 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7064 Signins

741234 Page Views

• Views: 741234
  • Message 5 of 5

2017-12-04, 20:03 PM

Hi bburghall ,

Greetings.

I believe you may have also searched in the internet about ways some hardware techs manage to resolve this but again this is a security threat to every computer owners as well. 

This is may be hard here on our forums since there is a forum rule regarding such topic as discussed here.

"No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to subvert safety measures."

Yes it would be possible but there are no guarantee as it depends on the BIOS version and models which I rather suggest to have any recommendations sent as private messages instead.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete