03-10-2018 11:54 PM - last edited on 03-11-2018 09:12 AM by Majestic
For about 2 - 3 weeks now, some keys on my Lenovo Z50-70 laptop have stopped working. At first my left arrow, right arrow and home button would not work until I would press them multiple times and they would all simultaneously start working. They now don't work at all anymore no matter what I try. This is now starting to happen with the letter "E" on my keyboard and it frustrates me a lot. Here are some of the things I have done to try and solve:
- connected an external keyboard (which works perfectly fine) - but I cannot use this at places such as university or work.
- attempted to update keyboard drivers and reinstall them (did not work).
- Ran virus scans with avira and malwarebytes. Malwarebytes found 200 PUPs - quarantining these fixed nothing.
- Tried using the keys (arrow keys) in BIOS - they still did not work
- Checked to see if I could update the BIOS - had the latest version.
Any help would be massively appreciated, I really want to get this fixed.
Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.
03-12-2018 08:22 AM
Thanks for using the Lenovo forums.
If the keys did not work in the BIOS, it will indicate a hardwer fault.
Try a static discharge for this, it may help to resolve the issue or at least get rid of any built up static on the motherboard.
(If the battery is internal, please just skip the remove/replace battery steps.)
1. Turn the unit off
2. Remove the battery and the Mains adapter
3. Press and hold the front power button for 30 seconds
4. Replace the battery and the Mains adapter
5. Turn the unit on as normal
Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
03-12-2018 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, I tried this and when turning back on I was surprised i didn't have to press "e" multiple times before it would start working. However after a day or 2 its now gone back to being like that. Also after turning it on, the arrow keys and home button still would do nothing when pressed. I'm thinking of giving the under keyboard a clean out of dust and see if that helps.
03-13-2018 01:48 PM
defective keyboard. Did something get spilled on it or at lot of dirt dust get in affecting the keys. Either way looks like you'll need a new keyboard for it.
03-13-2018 06:56 PM
I haven't spilled anything on it to my knowledge, although the keyboard has never been cleaned of dust / lint before. if cleaning it doesn't working ill probably get the keyboard replaced by lenovo.
03-20-2018 12:30 AM
I have Lenovo Z50-70.
On BIOS the keyboard is working fine, but in windows nothing happen.
I attached a report my lenovo z50-70 please check.
I think the synaptics driver is bad, but I tried everything.
What I have to do?