Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ernstlu
Paper Tape
Views: 4,857
Message 1 of 5

Z50-70 Laptop - Windows 10 Clean Install

I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Because I dont like having "leftovers" from Windows 8.1. But how do I do that? I also want to use the Lenovo apps that was installed on the computer when I got it. 

Mod's Edit: Added additional information to Subject line for clarity of problem.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,836
Message 2 of 5

Re: Z50-70 Laptop

@ernstlu wrote:

I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Because I dont like having "leftovers" from Windows 8.1. But how do I do that? I also want to use the Lenovo apps that was installed on the computer when I got it. 

Take a look at this link on how to clean install Win 10. After the clean install you may have to install some of the drivers from the Lenovo site or from the drivers folder in your drive. I'm not sure though about the Lenovo apps but you can try to look it up in the store or inquire from Lenovo.

stevepa
Token Ring
Views: 4,795
Message 3 of 5

Re: Z50-70 Laptop - Windows 10 Clean Install

I peformed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my Y50-70 and it went smoothly.  It performs well and was pretty easy to do.

A few caveats:

1) While I'm sure there is possibly some way to duplicate the one-key restore, I gave up and just made one system partition for Windows 10 and called it a day.

2) You will NOT get the Lenovo applications as the install kits are not on the website nor on the D: drive for recovery (only windows 8.1 drivers are there).

3) To date, there still is no Power Manager for Windows 10.  The download is broken and does not work.  You'll have to go into Windows 10 power profiles to switch between Balanced, High-Performance, etc, etc.

I bought a new SSD drive so I still have my factory 256GB SSD untouched should I want to go back cleanly.

ernstlu
Paper Tape
Views: 4,213
Message 4 of 5

A clean install is good. But after doing that I have some problems with the Intel HD drivers. I download the drivers from Lenovo but windows 10 want let me install them. Called LEnovo support and they told me to uninstall nvidia drivers and then install intel drivers, but still does not work, any ideas about this?
stevepa
Token Ring
Views: 4,211
Message 5 of 5

The Intel HD graphics in these Lenovo's apparently require some mods from Lenovo to be compatible so you cannot use the stock, Intel provided drivers- only those through Windows Update on Windows 10 or from the download area of Lenovo's driver support, which are older than the current Windows 10 drivers.

If you are encountering issues, I've found that Windows 10 has newer Intel drivers for the HD graphics, but they are "recommended" vs. "critical" so they wont download automatically.  To manually update, just go to the Device Manager, right-click on the Intel HD Graphics, and select "Update Driver Software" - then click to tell Windows Update to Search automatically.  It should find a small upgraded set and go through applying them.  I'd recommend a reboot afterwards for good measure and see if any issues you may have are fixed.. else post them since you should be OK from there.

Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors